Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

05 f-150 5.4 100k tune up

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 f-150 5.4 100k tune up

i have an 05 ford f-150 fx4 with a 5.4 and i want to do a tune up on it(myself). it is just about to turn 100k miles, what all parts should i go buy as far as tuning up the motor only. thanks in advance.

Bo
Old 12-04-2008, 11:32 PM
Inspector Man

Before you get too trigger happy, search the threads for spark plug issues. Because of the risk of breaking plugs, you have to take some precautions. (Also check out this website: http://www.flatratetech.com/index.php?categoryid=4 check out episode 26).

As for the checklist of items that go with a Ford standard 100k service:

Change oil
Perform Multi-Point inspection
Inspect / Repair & Replace Brakes (part of 90k service)
Lubricate non-sealed chassis parts
Replace air filter (part of 90k service)
Replace fuel filter (part of 90k service)
Change transmission fluid (part of 90k service)
Replace spark plugs
Change engine coolant
Inspect / Replace Accessory Belts

Good luck!
Old 12-04-2008, 11:47 PM

what about spark plug wires, and do these trucks have disributor cap and rotor button, if not what else would it have? thanks,

Bo
Old 12-05-2008, 07:25 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

No more cap and rotor, replaced by a coil pack or COP (coil on plug) depending on engine. As suggested, definately check out the plug removal issue.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:56 AM

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Good Video but isn't there a tool out now that also removes the porcelain if it breaks? If so how is that one used? Thanks.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a tool. There are actually a few of them out there. This one is probably the most common one and the cheapest. http://www.denlorstools.com/autoblog...ds-bad-design/

I just got done doing a tune-up to my 04 F150 with the 5.4 engine this past weekend. I changed the spark plugs, fuel filter and cleaned the fuel injection system. Everything went smoothly. I had no broken spark plugs. I have almost 100K miles on my truck and was expecting the worst. But everything worked out great. I purchased the above tool just in case one did break. You know if I wouldn't have bought the tool, I probably would've broke 2 or 3. It's best to be prepared for the worst case scenario so your truck isn't out of action any longer than necessary. I think my fuel filter had been in the truck for a while, maybe even the original one. When I drained it, it looked like oil coming out of it.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:31 PM

Yeah I am calling the only ford dealer that is around me to see there price on plug change. Hopefully it isn't to much lol.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:37 PM
Fords For Life

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

its going to be pricey gauranteed. Yeah I just bought all the tools to do a plug change (Lisle, OTC Socket, etc) but because it is snowing so bad here I cant find a good place to do it (I live in an Apartment). My mom is coming in town this week so I am going to have to put it off for a lil bit. A lil pissed but I am only at 85K so I got plenty of time.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:00 PM

So everything that I am reading these plugs are breaking of course because of a p*** poor design and because the engine is building up carb around the base of these plugs basically cementing it into the hole. Has anyone tried running seafoam or any injection cleaners or something along those lined to soften this crud up before doing the plug change? I am not a major car nut or anything so let me know if this is a stupid idea lol.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a big bottle of the Lucas Oil Fuel Treatment and used that for about 4 or 5 tanks of gas before I did my plug change. The morning I did my plug change I drove my truck for about 15 minutes over to a guy that is a Master ASE mechanic. I found him on Craigslist. We then did the fuel injection system cleaning which involved hooking up a mister/fogger to the intake and then spraying the chemicals in there while running the truck for about 10 minutes. After that we let it cool for about 15 minutes and then removed all the COP's. We then sprayed some KANO Aero Kroil down into each spark plug hole and let it sit for a bit. We then cracked each plug about a 1/4 turn to let the oil seep down inside the plug hole. Then it was just a matter of slowly taking each plug out by turning it out a half turn and then back in a 1/4 turn. When it felt like the plug was really sticking we sprayed more Aero Kroil down in there and kept working the plug back and forth. All my plugs came out in one piece and I was kinda surprised to see that there wasn't all that much carbon built up on them. A couple of them had a bit more on them than the others, but overall, they really weren't that bad considering they had almost 100K miles on them. Maybe because I ran the Lucas fuel treatment for those 4 or 5 tanks of gas and then the fuel injection cleaning that we did helped remove some of the carbon buildup from the plugs. I told him that I had read that we should do this to a cold engine but he felt it would be better if the engine was warm, not hot, just warm. Considering how it all turned out I can't complain about any of it. It actually turned out to be just another ordinary tune-up. Thank god.

So, for changing the plugs, fuel filter and the fuel injection system cleaning I paid $200. Plus I bought the parts. It was still an expensive tune-up, but I feel good about what I ended up paying considering what a lot of others have had to pay.

Quick Reply: 05 f-150 5.4 100k tune up