Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

05 cam phaser issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 08:00 PM
rsm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 05 cam phaser issue

i know this a subject that has been beat in the ground. i have to replace passenger side phaser , driver side was done 2 years ago. im probably going to replace both this time around and my questions has to do with the lock outs you can buy for these.. do they fit only OEM product and anyone has any experience with them they would like to share, pros, cons. i have a edge programmer i can use to reprogram the timing also vs having to buy a kit that comes with it.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:40 PM
Monks

Received 248 Likes on 221 Posts

They make lockouts for oem and dorman phasers
Old 06-24-2016, 03:55 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default don't think much of lockouts

Lockouts won't fix bad/broken plastic chain guides or weak seals on chain tensioners .I always thought my phasors were the problem until I opened her up . Weak oil pressure from bad seals on tensioners , poor oil pump etc. caused lash adjusters and cam roller to go bad .It jumped time with the broken guide. Did low pressure cause guide to fail ?I would guess yes .
Replaced all those parts and she is quiet and running good .
I wasn't going to waste $700 on a lockout kit to reduce the performance of the engine . I put a better melling 360 oil pump in her too. $1200 to 1400 in oem parts minus $ 700 I could have spent on lockouts. Good luck
The following users liked this post:
rsm (06-25-2016)
Old 06-24-2016, 09:21 AM
VFL

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by redfishtd
Lockouts won't fix bad/broken plastic chain guides or weak seals on chain tensioners .I always thought my phasors were the problem until I opened her up . Weak oil pressure from bad seals on tensioners , poor oil pump etc. caused lash adjusters and cam roller to go bad .It jumped time with the broken guide. Did low pressure cause guide to fail ?I would guess yes .
I wasn't going to waste $700 on a lockout kit to reduce the performance of the engine . I put a better melling 360 oil pump in her too. $1200 to 1400 in oem parts minus $ 700 I could have spent on lockouts. Good luck
He is right. IMO, not really worth the price unless putting in a different cam and getting a custom tune.
The following users liked this post:
rsm (06-25-2016)
Old 06-26-2016, 09:00 AM
rsm

Originally Posted by redfishtd
i found couple of oem kits from ford that come complete with everything , just need to find a oil pump. even with all this done, did you still find a problem with your cam phasers? mechanics still tell me that the phaser is just a crappy design and they just rattle. what was your experience with them after you changed out all this..
Old 06-26-2016, 09:39 AM

Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

change them and switch to 5-30
Old 06-26-2016, 11:40 AM

Received 256 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by rsm
i found couple of oem kits from ford that come complete with everything , just need to find a oil pump. even with all this done, did you still find a problem with your cam phasers? mechanics still tell me that the phaser is just a crappy design and they just rattle. what was your experience with them after you changed out all this..
Changed my phasers, timing components and followers and lash adjusters a couple summers ago with all OEM parts from Ebay. Not a noise or issue since. Never really had an issue when they were bad, just the noise. Glad I changed out my lash adjusters too because when I checked my old ones, I found 13 out of the 24 were bad. Made a world of difference with how the engine sounds. I too changed to 5W30 at that point. Good luck.
Tom
Old 06-26-2016, 06:33 PM
rsm

Originally Posted by vintageman
Changed my phasers, timing components and followers and lash adjusters a couple summers ago with all OEM parts from Ebay. Not a noise or issue since. Never really had an issue when they were bad, just the noise. Glad I changed out my lash adjusters too because when I checked my old ones, I found 13 out of the 24 were bad. Made a world of difference with how the engine sounds. I too changed to 5W30 at that point. Good luck.
Tom
yeah i have about 127k on the truck but im original owner and have maintained this very meticulous, but this has been challenging. did you do the work or did you have mechanic? i have done a lot on my cars in the past on my own. i figured 1000-1400 in parts with lashers and all. just haven't figured i have time to do or get my mechanic. what did you pay in labor for everything?
Old 06-26-2016, 06:59 PM

Received 256 Likes on 213 Posts

I did the work myself, I actually took a couple of weeks off from work to relax, went out about an hour here, took a nap, went out for a couple hours, took another nap. My plan was not to rush or stress about it. When all said and done, if I worked straight through, I would have had it done in about 12-16 hours, really not hard but there is so much to take off. If you take your time and follow maybe the first 3 or 4 pages of "The Final Guide" sticky on page one of this year group, then you can do it.
Get a long table to sit up parts as they come off, take pics, try to set the timing mark at the correct position before disassembly and make sure the cam lobes are in the correct direction (pics in my album of the timing marks and cam lobes), take your time disassembling and you will be be ok. OEM parts is the way to go, I think all of my parts combined was about $800
Good Luck, let us know what you decide to do.
Tom
Old 06-26-2016, 07:51 PM
rsm

Originally Posted by vintageman
I did the work myself, I actually took a couple of weeks off from work to relax, went out about an hour here, took a nap, went out for a couple hours, took another nap. My plan was not to rush or stress about it. When all said and done, if I worked straight through, I would have had it done in about 12-16 hours, really not hard but there is so much to take off. If you take your time and follow maybe the first 3 or 4 pages of "The Final Guide" sticky on page one of this year group, then you can do it.
Get a long table to sit up parts as they come off, take pics, try to set the timing mark at the correct position before disassembly and make sure the cam lobes are in the correct direction (pics in my album of the timing marks and cam lobes), take your time disassembling and you will be be ok. OEM parts is the way to go, I think all of my parts combined was about $800
Good Luck, let us know what you decide to do.
Tom
thanks man, i will see. time will be a issue for me right now. i will talk to my mechanic too this week. thanks for everyones help

Quick Reply: 05 cam phaser issue