Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

05 5.4L Cold air intake question (probable cause of throttle body issue)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 5.4L Cold air intake question (probable cause of throttle body issue)

Hello everyone,
So yesterday I had the unfortunate experience of the "Engine Failsafe, etc." problem while doing 50mph down I-45. Stalled in the middle lane, freaked out, then was able to start up and head into work...anyway, pulled the codes and got 2104 and 2112. I read all about that and think i'm going to start with cleaning the TB.

The issue above is my priority, but here's why i'm asking about the CAI (bought used, CAI was already installed). There's a a slit/cutout at the point where the heat shield meets the intake tube. It was either intentionally cut out, or from rubbing on the heat shield box (i'm thinking the former). Pics attached.

1) If it's just a matter of cleaning the TB, could this be the root of the issue (allowing dust & debris to collect)?
2) Could I just cover this up with flex hose?
3) Since I don't have the stock air intake, should I just replace w/a new CAI? If so, should I stick with the one that's on (AEM) or try K&N?
4) Or, go back to the stock intake?

I'm looking forward to your answers & suggestions.
Also looking forward to spending some time here -- truck is $1k away from being paid off and I thought about trading up but think i'm gonna keep her.

Thanks!
-Rob
Attached Images   
Old 05-28-2015, 01:13 PM

Received 147 Likes on 125 Posts

1) from what i've read and seeing that huge hole, i would certainly take it off and clean it first, but all the other instances, it seemed to be either mechanical (where the plate is stuck and not moving which seems somehwta unlikely if you got it running afterwords fine) or electrical.
2.,3.,4) I would go back to stock since the stock is a CAI, your MAP is specifically designed for the flow pattern it creates, and you could be causing a lean condition if it's beyond what your fuel trims can correct for
The following users liked this post:
Rob-IV (05-28-2015)
Old 05-28-2015, 01:13 PM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

That could suck in some dirt...it should be sealed with the only air coming in through the filter itself...don't know about that opening..bet your TB is nasty
Attached Images   

Last edited by techrep; 05-28-2015 at 01:17 PM.
Rob-IV (05-28-2015)
Old 05-28-2015, 01:44 PM

Received 63 Likes on 60 Posts

I had just worked on a Mazda 3 recently where the air intake partially ripped. The car ran absolutely horrible! If I would connect the hose by forcing with two hands, the car would idle normally again. As a test, we ducktaped it (this was a real beater, 2002 - rusted, etc). The car drove perfectly fine. In the case of the Mazda though, the mass air flow sensor is down at the air filter. That isn't the case on ours so I don't think it would affect anything but I thought I'd throw it out there. Is the sensor before or after the cut? If before (i.e. closer to the throttle body) then this probably wouldn't impact that. Otherwise, based on the situation and those codes, I'm thinking cleaning your TB is needed too.

I have the airraid like Techrep and never had any issues. Was very happy with it.
Rob-IV (05-28-2015)
Old 05-28-2015, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome, thanks so much for the quick replies!

I think i'll start with cleaning the throttle, and then take care of the intake. For now i'll probably try to cover the cut with hose...gonna have to cutout some of the box around it though.

Homer I like your suggestion of temporarily covering up with tape to see how it runs.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:34 PM

Received 665 Likes on 517 Posts

Can you unscrew the filter and just jam the pipe in further to cover the hole with the boot? What kind of "cold air intake" is it?
Old 05-29-2015, 05:44 AM
Mark

Originally Posted by Rob-IV
Awesome, thanks so much for the quick replies!

I think i'll start with cleaning the throttle, and then take care of the intake. For now i'll probably try to cover the cut with hose...gonna have to cutout some of the box around it though.

Homer I like your suggestion of temporarily covering up with tape to see how it runs.
Get some MAF cleaner too...
Old 05-29-2015, 07:34 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Wow. Amazing that some previous owner would cut a slot into an unfiltered section of an intake.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:41 AM
Mark

Originally Posted by Bucko
Wow. Amazing that some previous owner would cut a slot into an unfiltered section of an intake.

Yeah... thought what were they thinking ?? should of trimmed the plastic vice the metal intake tube...
Old 05-29-2015, 07:48 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by techrep
Yeah... thought what were they thinking ?? should of trimmed the plastic vice the metal intake tube...
That would have made more sense, even though it would allow even more warmer engine heat to be drawn in by the open filter.

To the OP: get a stock air cleaner setup. It will work much better than the CAI you have; it draws cool air from the side fender, where as your setup is drawing warm engine air (that rubber seal is supposed to seal against the hood, but I'll bet that seal is not functioning as such), and that slit that was cut has been drawing unfiltered air into your engine for some time. When you remove the throttle body to clean it, imagine how much of the crud got past the throttle plate, and into your cylinders.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 05-29-2015 at 12:37 PM.

Quick Reply: 05 5.4L Cold air intake question (probable cause of throttle body issue)