Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

05 5.4 triton crewcab; money pit. dump it or keep it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 11:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 05 5.4 triton crewcab; money pit. dump it or keep it?

I have a dilemma. I have a 05 5.4 v3 I bought for 7000 with 165k miles I havent had it for that long but I already slapped some rims and tires on it and I've replaced plugs and coils. the back deal on the differential needs a gasket. It needs rotors and brakes. These are the little things. So I live in california and 3 out of the 4 cats dont work. I figured no big deal but it turns out the passenger side is 2k and the driver side 1,900 because its a dealer only item. I spent all my money on the truck and now I screwed myself (atlesast thats how I feel) its a nice truck (the lariat) but its turned inot a money pit.

suggetions on what you guys would do if u were in my position?
Old 08-14-2015, 01:02 AM

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

If you are hearing any chain slap on cold start (a loud rattle for less than 3 seconds) that's an indication of bad or failing timing chain tensioners. My neck of the woods that's a $2500+ repair. If you're hearing start up chain slap I would dump it considering the non trivial amount of emission control stuff that needs replacement. These tritons of ours aren't too friendly to neglect and high miles so doing a thorough check of the engine and giving that a clean bill of health will help you make up you mind.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:09 AM

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Also curious as to why the cats have crapped out, not high enough mileage to be considered normal wear IMO.
Truck is running smooth, no other knocks and rattles?

Another cheap test the dealer can do to see if it's worth sinking more money into the truck is check your oil pressure using a proper gauge. I know, around here, if oil pressure is anything less than 15 they're considered gummed up and beyond feasibly fixing. It'll cost you around 1 hour of labour, they'll look at the pressure cold or idling, take it for a drive to get it hot (MAKE SURE THEY GO FAR ENOUGH!) and look at the pressure again. It's that warm engine oil pressure number you need above 15. Preferably closer to 25 which would indicate a well cared for engine.

Good luck! Id be happy to provide any further help if you need it.

Quick Reply: 05 5.4 triton crewcab; money pit. dump it or keep it?