Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

05 5.4 3V bad lower end knock

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 05 5.4 3V bad lower end knock

I will say i have been around the block a few times and my 05 FX4 is my 14 or 15 Ford truck and four of them with 5.4 2V this is my first 5.4 3V .Now to be fair i did buy it used as a rebuilder with about 24K on it. Had been hit in driver front or should say looked like it ditched and hit a colvert but did not damage the engine. After i fixed it i noticed that it ' would use a qt of oil in 2500 miles did'nt like that but well within specs but did notice a slite tic in engine on driver side, Talked to mechanic buddie he thought it might be a piston wrist pin. I used lucas oil treatment one time, tic did not go away so did not use it again till about 72k and did it to 20% like it call for,now i should say the tic at time seamed to almost go away but would come back with in a day or two. The tic never got louder and you only would here it at idle . Well today at lunch when i started it i thought the botton end was going to push thru the oil pan.
So dejected i started calling my contacks back in Michigan for the takeout engines and finding these thing are selling like hot cakes . Is thair a problem with the 5.4 3V engine ??? or did i hurt my self by using lucus . Looking for some input i have Driven 5.4 2V engine well over 150K and no problems.
Thanks Mike

Last edited by sid6377; 10-03-2008 at 05:25 PM. Reason: forgot spell check
Old 10-03-2008, 09:04 PM

I had to have lifters replaced in my 04' 5.4L 3 valve.. Mine was bad, but was under warranty when I took it in.. Mine was knocking bad though all the time. When I took it in to the dealer, they knew exactly what it was. There was a service bulletin on the problem at that time. I am not sure that is your problem, but I'd look it up.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:42 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sid6377
I will say i have been around the block a few times and my 05 FX4 is my 14 or 15 Ford truck and four of them with 5.4 2V this is my first 5.4 3V .Now to be fair i did buy it used as a rebuilder with about 24K on it. Had been hit in driver front or should say looked like it ditched and hit a colvert but did not damage the engine. After i fixed it i noticed that it ' would use a qt of oil in 2500 miles did'nt like that but well within specs but did notice a slite tic in engine on driver side, Talked to mechanic buddie he thought it might be a piston wrist pin. I used lucas oil treatment one time, tic did not go away so did not use it again till about 72k and did it to 20% like it call for,now i should say the tic at time seamed to almost go away but would come back with in a day or two. The tic never got louder and you only would here it at idle . Well today at lunch when i started it i thought the botton end was going to push thru the oil pan.
So dejected i started calling my contacks back in Michigan for the takeout engines and finding these thing are selling like hot cakes . Is thair a problem with the 5.4 3V engine ??? or did i hurt my self by using lucus . Looking for some input i have Driven 5.4 2V engine well over 150K and no problems.
Thanks Mike
If you're going to keep the truck, get a subscription to www.alldatadiy.com Print out all of the TSB's and start going through them one-by-one. The instructions give you the steps to recreate the problem. Then you won't have to guess.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:35 AM

Thanks for info will check into.
Thanks
Mike
Old 10-04-2008, 09:56 AM

I wish i could get off that eazy but it is lower end . My game plan was to get thru the winter and early sping pull the engine and put in a low miles take out and a few upgrades. I got lucky and found a 05 5.4 3V long block (Ford )take out with 5k on it $1600.00 . Will update after i switch out in a couple of weeks.

Quick Reply: 05 5.4 3V bad lower end knock