Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

04 XLT 5.4L Brake Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 04 XLT 5.4L Brake Problem

Hey guys,

I'm new to the site, just got my first F150.
I traded my 2 old trucks (77 Dodge Ramcharger & 67 F250 Custom Cab)
for an 04 XLT extended cab (4-door) w/ the 5.4L.
It is in good shape, has about 98000 miles on it.
It runs very strong, and was the previous owners farm/work truck.

I had it all checked out when I got it, put new tires on it, did (all 4) brake rotors/pads, axle flush, oil change, trans checkup. Overall everything looks good.

Anyways, on to my problem.

When I did the brakes, I forgot to loc-tite the caliper mounting bolts on the front, and had one fall out. The caliper came loose and was banging back and forth from the rotor to the rim.
I got a new bolt and tightened and loc-tited all the brake hardware.

So the problem I'm having is recently the brakes began to squeak pretty noticeably when stopping. Then when accelerating from a dead stop, I would hear a whining/grinding noise. I figured the caliper that came loose was damaged when it came loose, so I replaced the caliper and put a new set of pads on it.

I'm still getting this noise. The brakes are not binding up or grabbing at all, but I can't seem to get rid of this squeak when applying the brakes, or the grinding/whining when starting from a stop.

Any help will be much appreciated!!

Thanks,

Evan
Old 05-13-2008, 11:03 AM
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, try and figure out which wheel the noise is comming from first off to narrow the problem down to one area.

If its the one you had trouble with inspect the rotor all the way around inside and out for nicks or dings that may have happend when you caliper came off. even so much as a nick on the outter edges of th rotor may cause a noise. try to gently file it down if the is one.

You may need to bleed your brakes also. try to see if the caliper is completely releasing too. you could even have so much as a little stone inbedded into the pad that would make a sharp sound as well. Basically just check out all the moveing componets for anything that looks funny. Hope it helps.

Quick Reply: 04 XLT 5.4L Brake Problem