Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

04 Screw Lariat shimmies

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Screw Lariat shimmies

My 04 Screw Lariat runs great, but I have one issue. When starting from a dead stop, the truck shimmies a little. It's hard to explain. It's like something catches for a split second, and then shakes loose. After that, it runs fine. It's not the engine...doesn't do it in park. I've only owned the truck for a month, so this may be normal, but it doesn't feel normal. Any ideas...anyone??
Old 12-08-2008, 10:39 PM
2004 F150 Lariat

Mine does the same. Particulalry on a turn from a stop.

I chocked it up to the limited slip rear??
Old 12-09-2008, 01:42 AM

You have to explain the shimmy a bit better. Seems like it's coming from the drivetrain or engine? Straight line or corner? All the time or when it's cold? Does the entire body seem to shimmy or is it something that you can feel through the seat?

If you can be a bit more explicit then folks may be able to zero into this issue.

I had an '03 Explorer Sport that felt as though a tire was way out of balance at highway speed only AFTER I had gone from 4WHigh to 2WD. Something in the 4WD system was not disconnecting right away. If I stopped to engage 4WD and then disengage the vibration disappeared. My point is that a shimmy or unbalance can be a lot of things...
Old 12-09-2008, 09:39 AM

Weather deosn't matter...only does it from a dead stop...both straight line and cornering...I can only feel it through my seat. It's hard to describe.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:55 PM
Truckin'Boatin'Bikin' Nut

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello all, as for the shimmy, it sounds like you have the ever so popular Limited slip TSB (technical service bulletin) problem. Seems the factory skimpt on the internals in the rear end, so if and when the customer detects the problem, the dealer will fix at no cost to you. They replace the clutch packs and add a modifier to the rear end dope. My 05 and 07 had the same issue, my former bosses had the problem with their 04 and 05. My buddies 04 also had the problem. It also may be the mid ship bearing on the drive shaft (depends on wheel base and year). They have to properly shim it to eliminate the shake. After the procedure was done, the shake/shimmy was all gone, and everyone was happy campers again. Go to the dealer, explain your prob, and mention the TSB for the rear end. This only applies to the limited slip rear ends. So far my 08 has not done it, but I have only had it 3 weeks. Hope this helps, good luck.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by gjdavies
Go to the dealer, explain your prob, and mention the TSB for the rear end. This only applies to the limited slip rear ends. So far my 08 has not done it, but I have only had it 3 weeks. Hope this helps, good luck.
Can you keep us posted on the 08. I had my truck in for alignment...they said yes the toe was out....it is better now yes but still fades to the left....the steering wheel shimmies ....I know this is a truck the shimmy feels like i have 35" BFG MTR's on it...but nope I have the stock Pirellis
Old 12-17-2008, 12:33 AM
One-Fast-Indian

My 04 has the same problem..was told at ford dealer that its the clutch pack..took it to a rear End and tranny place and said there is no Clutch Pack inside the Differential..They replaced the Fluid with some other stuff..It still shimmies but not as much as before..

Quick Reply: 04 Screw Lariat shimmies