Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

04 revs but barley moves

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 revs but barley moves

Hey everyone, hopefully someone can help me out with this! I tried searching but couldn't find what I am experiencing.

I have a 2004 F150 F150 (new body style) with about 160k that is experiencing a weird transmission issue. When it is put into drive the engine will rev but the truck will not move as quickly as it should, then the truck will lunge forward as if it is finally in gear and then will shift & act normal until I stop again.

It kind of seems like the first gear clutch packs are crapping out and slipping.

I am not getting any DTC's, pan/gasket/ filter were done approx 30k ago, no abnormal noises.
I checked the fluid this morning & it was approx 3/4 qt low (tranny cooler line has a slow leak), I topped it off but am still getting the same issues.

Do you guys have any advise on what this could be? I really am hoping I don't need a transmission!
Old 12-17-2015, 10:33 AM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

first fix leak drop pan if the clutches are slipping there will be debris in the pan. sounds like the check valve that keeps the oil in the converter has failed and is letting the fluid drain from the converter when it is parked. 2 tests check the fluid when cold before start up if it show over full that is one sure sign. after start up let it idle for a minute before you put it in gear this will allow the converter to refill and it should drive normal.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by bubbabud
first fix leak drop pan if the clutches are slipping there will be debris in the pan. sounds like the check valve that keeps the oil in the converter has failed and is letting the fluid drain from the converter when it is parked. 2 tests check the fluid when cold before start up if it show over full that is one sure sign. after start up let it idle for a minute before you put it in gear this will allow the converter to refill and it should drive normal.
Bubba, the transmission wasn't cooled down so I could check the fluid cold but I did what you said and let the truck sit for a minute & this is what is happening:

When I put it into gear, I dont feel it going into gear (I hope you know what Im talking about, where you can feel the truck move slightly) I let it sit for about 30sec-min before touching the gas, once I touch the gas It feels like something is slipping or not engaged all the way. (kind of like the feeling where you dont let a clutch out all the way and you can feel it hopping) After that the truck will accelerate normal in 1st & 2nd. If I stop and take off it will take off normal.

Now if I put the truck into reverse then back to drive, I will get the same slipping sensation. Could this still be the converter check valve? If so, what it the procedure to replace? Entire converter or if the check valve in the actual valve body?

Thank you!
Old 12-17-2015, 12:20 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds to me like you've got low line pressure. I just had an E4OD rebuilt for my company's '99 F250 and it had the same exact issues that you're describing. Either line pressure regulation is at fault, or your clutch discs are so worn that that clearance tolerances are way over spec. I am in no way trying to be a smartass, but unless you can drop and disassemble a 4R75W transmission, you're better off taking this issue to a professional shop. I feel that there is very little you will be able to do to correct this on your own.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:05 PM

Alright guys So on my way home it did something completely different. Now it is "slipping" in all 4 gears. Whats weird is it seems like it comes & goes, one minute it will rev to the moon and barley move and the next it is acting like nothing is wrong at all through all gears. This isn't making sense..

Oh, and I am not having any problems in reverse.

So it doesn't seem like the clutch packs are toast because it is happening on every single gear and it comes & goes.

I'm thinking a pressure problem or a solenoid? What do you all think?
Old 12-17-2015, 08:41 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kwright997
Alright guys So on my way home it did something completely different. Now it is "slipping" in all 4 gears. Whats weird is it seems like it comes & goes, one minute it will rev to the moon and barley move and the next it is acting like nothing is wrong at all through all gears. This isn't making sense..

Oh, and I am not having any problems in reverse.

So it doesn't seem like the clutch packs are toast because it is happening on every single gear and it comes & goes.

I'm thinking a pressure problem or a solenoid? What do you all think?
Reverse isn't affected because it's not controlled by clutch packs. It's controlled by a band that squeezes a drum. Again, it's not something you're going to be able to repair on your own and it's best left to a professional shop. There's really not much you can do to rectify this without pulling the transmission and rebuilding it at this point.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:30 PM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

Make sure you buy a AAA membership. You'll need a toe next week.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:37 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by primalurges
You'll need a toe next week.
Probably the little piggy that went to market

Quick Reply: 04 revs but barley moves