Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

'04 power steering...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy '04 power steering...

Anyone have any ideas on stiff spots in turning with the power steering on a 2004 F-150. It can take you by surprise if you go into a turn and don't expect the power steer not to be there....if this makes any sense? Need some ideas where to begin....the fluid level is good and the belt does not squawk like the pump is starting to set up!
Old 07-20-2008, 09:52 AM

I know they went to a new steering system with this truck. Went from a gearbox to a rack and pin type, basicly a hydrolic. If seals are bad in the hydrolic could cause fluid to bypass when pressure is increased ie during a turn. I wouldn't think the pump would cut in and out, but it could be low pressure causing the issue. Your dealer should be able to run this down easly. Last thing you want is to guess wrong and replace the whole system. Please post miles on your truck.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:28 AM

I know it could get expensive to start replacing parts....the truck has a lil over 74k on her. I tried bleeding it and the fluid is good...but it seems to do it when the tempature is up not when you first start out in the morning.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:30 PM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by screechowl
I know it could get expensive to start replacing parts....the truck has a lil over 74k on her. I tried bleeding it and the fluid is good...but it seems to do it when the tempature is up not when you first start out in the morning.
both of my fords have done that, after a few minutes of run time, the fluid becomes more viscous and the problem goes away. Also, if it isnt leaking, the seals are most likely fine, since the high pressure side operates somewhere in the range of 400psi...the lines are a zero pressure type and have telfon fittings and galvanic steal couplings, if something went south, you would know it. After you bleed the system, did you work the steering wheel back and forth about twenty times with the tires up to bleed out any trapped air(of course the cap has to be off the resevior).
Old 07-20-2008, 12:52 PM

Yep, the cap was off and I turned the wheel right to left a bunch of times....would the differences of fluid make a difference in performance? Like if you use NAPA power steering fluid over the Mercon stuff?
Old 07-20-2008, 01:37 PM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by screechowl
Yep, the cap was off and I turned the wheel right to left a bunch of times....would the differences of fluid make a difference in performance? Like if you use NAPA power steering fluid over the Mercon stuff?
as long as you use the proper mercon spec fluid, it doesnt matter. I used the cheapest, generic brand mercon III in my power steering system for the car, and there isnt a problem.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:37 PM

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:17 PM

Did you ever find the problem?
Old 05-14-2009, 01:54 PM

mine does the same thing. someone told me there was a pressure switch in the rack and pinion steering that adjusts pressure when you are going slow and turning. This pressure switch being bad has led to this problem. I haven't looked into it yet, anyone else heard of this?
Old 05-15-2009, 02:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem with my '06. I found the steer shaft universal was binding up. If its acting up, you can jack the front end up, and turn the wheel by hand on the driver side, you should be able to see the shaft just above the tire through the wheel well. If its binding, when the wheel gets tight, you'll see the shaft try to move either up or down, instead of spinning smooth. Since they are sealed joints, you can spray it down with wd-40, or something similar while someone turns the wheel, but it's only a temp solution
The following users liked this post:
MickInOhio (03-08-2013)

Quick Reply: '04 power steering...