Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

04 misfire question

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 misfire question

So my lifters were making a little bit of noise (that's what I was told) and had been making that noise for a while. I was about to take it into the shop this week when 2 days ago cylinder 3 started misfiring. After it started misfiring I drove it less than 5 miles (to home, then to shop). When I pull up to the shop the guy tells me it sounds like I'll need a new engine... I may be throwing a rod. Is he trying to pull a fast one on me?

Engine oil/pressure is fine. To my understanding that is what causes most rods being thrown.

But I know there's so many more things too it.

I know I shouldn't have been driving it much when the lifters started making noise, but when you can't afford a shop yet you gotta do that you gotta do. I had a good buddy look at it who was very knowledgeable and he told me the sound just sounded like a spring in the lifters. That it was ok to drive a bit but would eventually need to be maintenanced. Made sense to me. I wasn't even losing power, just had that real small tick that never got any louder. Me and him were going to eventually fix it, but unfortunately he passed away being hit by a drunk driver (PLEASE DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE), leading me to now take it to the shop. So all the technical stuff he told me I can't find out again. But like I said he told me it wasn't a major issue and was an easy fix.

But now there is such a loud noise, engine was pulling cylinder 3 misfire codes. Would that create a loud tick that sounds like a rod is being thrown? Do you think a rod is being thrown?

I'm sitting here thinking if the misfire was fixed then that noise would go away and I would be left with the very small noise from the lifters, which I'm trying to get fixed.

So what do you think. Sound like a new engine is needed?
Old 08-09-2016, 09:18 AM
Some guy

Received 2,022 Likes on 1,284 Posts

Yikes. Hahaha. Misfire = you need a new engine? Find a new mechanic.

Start with your plugs and coils (you can get a new set of cheap Chinese coils on Amazon for like $50). Use only Motorcraft plugs and DO NOT use Accel coils.

We'll get to the lifters after that.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Martian
Yikes. Hahaha. Misfire = you need a new engine? Find a new mechanic.

Start with your plugs and coils (you can get a new set of cheap Chinese coils on Amazon for like $50). Use only Motorcraft plugs and DO NOT use Accel coils.

We'll get to the lifters after that.
Thanks. I left it at the shop this morning. He's not doing work yet, just looking everything over. I'll keep that in mind though when he calls.

I recently changed all spark plugs and coil packs 5k miles ago. I got a set of coil packs off amazon, just can't remember what brand. But reading the reviews it got the best reviews for those that cost $100 for 8 (verse $50 a piece at the parts store)

I was going to take it to the Ford house, but they seemed like idiots. I was describing a loss of vacuum pressure, which would try to engage my 4x4 when accelerating and they said they never heard of that issue. Everyone else said it was very common. And the shop I took it too is one of the best in town.

I will say the noise did sound bad, but the engine codes kept pulling misfire. I have a picture of all 5 codes, I can post the codes in a minute.

Does a misfire sound similar to a rod being thrown? Have never thrown a rod, but have heard it happen before on a friend's car. That was over a decade ago and I've slept since then.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:27 AM

I usually do my own work. I have a good knowledge of several things, but when it comes to engine internals that's where I draw the line
Old 08-09-2016, 09:36 AM
Some guy

Actually it makes me wonder if you have a broken valve spring... BTW, the internals under the valve covers of this engine are super simple. It doesn't even take a bit of bravery to check it out, just the right tools and some time.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:36 AM

Did I mess up my engine driving less than 5 miles on a misfire (barely accelerating, keeping it less than 10 mph)

My code reader pulled the following:

P0316 - misfire detected on startup
P0012 - intake camshaft position timing over-retarded
P0174 - system too lean
P0300 - random misfire
P0303 - cylinder 3 misfire

The noise started almost instantly. I ran to the bank a couple days ago it was just fine. When I came back out and fired it up... loud ticking noise and misfire codes.

Surely I'm not throwing a rod.

Once he calls me back with his diagnosis I think I'll say "ok thank you. I will now take it for a second opinion. I brought it in running so it better be running now"
Old 08-09-2016, 09:38 AM
Some guy

Okay, then now it's starting to sound like a timing issue. Especially since you're getting "random misfire." Did you ever do the timing gear swap? I would not drive this truck anymore if it's potentially jumping time.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:38 AM

Actually it makes me wonder if you have a broken valve spring... BTW, the internals under the valve covers of this engine are super simple. It doesn't even take a bit of bravery to check it out, just the right tools and some time.
Yes that's what my friend said and we were going to get to that when his tragedy happened.

I'm still thinking this is nothing major. Definitely not an engine replacement. Thank you for your input
Old 08-09-2016, 09:39 AM

Okay, then now it's starting to sound like a timing issue. Especially since you're getting "random misfire." Did you ever do the timing gear swap? I would not drive this truck anymore if it's potentially jumping time.
No I never swapped timing gears. Truck has 175k miles btw
Old 08-09-2016, 09:39 AM
Some guy

Possible timing issue IS major.

Quick Reply: 04 misfire question