Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

04 Lariat 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Lariat 5.4

OK,whats the trick to getting at the lower rad hose clamp at the engine? Man,it's buried in there. Also trying to psyche myself up for plug replacement,96k. Saw a Lisle tool on amazon for $48. Then I watch that video of the guy removing them from a hot engine with an impact. WTF. I cant vary the torque on mine though. Oh well,just complaining. Thanks for any help.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too have an 04 Lariat. I've been studying up on changing the plugs as well and I seriously considering biting the bullet and farming the job out. I'm no stranger to swapping cylinder heads, intakes, transmissions, transfer cases and whole engines, etc., etc. but I have no interest in doing that plug install-Lisle tool or not.... My newly aquired truck has a tick over 190,000 km (just under 120,000 miles) and I am assuming neither of the twp previous owners had the plugs done. Having said that I'm in no rush to go at it either. The truck runs fine now and doesn't tick too bad either. The few minor maintenance issues I addressed this past week went well (e-brake overhaul and sway bar end links) but I look under the hood and shudder. A few years back I swapped an engine from a crown vic station wagon (wood grain... yummy) into my old Bronco completely singlehandedly and never though twice about it but this 5.4 has been cowering it seems.... I'm thinking that the information overload available online has us all freaked out a bit although it is a near priceless and endless source of advice and how-to info.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:23 PM

Received 1,390 Likes on 664 Posts

Check out my plug change walk through I did when I changed my plugs, might help you out a bit. https://www.f150forum.com/f72/how-sp...-3v-v8-116291/
Old 05-06-2012, 10:20 PM

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by jsa750k
OK,whats the trick to getting at the lower rad hose clamp at the engine? Man,it's buried in there. Also trying to psyche myself up for plug replacement,96k. Saw a Lisle tool on amazon for $48. Then I watch that video of the guy removing them from a hot engine with an impact. WTF. I cant vary the torque on mine though. Oh well,just complaining. Thanks for any help.
Can't comment on the hose clamp situation but replacing spark plugs on a hot engine is asking for trouble. And I wouldn't want to risk wrecking the threads since our engines are known for spitting out plugs in the first place. I am going to attempt to replace the plugs on my own when I do more research on the best method.

Originally Posted by Jet A-1
I too have an 04 Lariat. I've been studying up on changing the plugs as well and I seriously considering biting the bullet and farming the job out. I'm no stranger to swapping cylinder heads, intakes, transmissions, transfer cases and whole engines, etc., etc. but I have no interest in doing that plug install-Lisle tool or not.... My newly aquired truck has a tick over 190,000 km (just under 120,000 miles) and I am assuming neither of the twp previous owners had the plugs done. Having said that I'm in no rush to go at it either. The truck runs fine now and doesn't tick too bad either. The few minor maintenance issues I addressed this past week went well (e-brake overhaul and sway bar end links) but I look under the hood and shudder. A few years back I swapped an engine from a crown vic station wagon (wood grain... yummy) into my old Bronco completely singlehandedly and never though twice about it but this 5.4 has been cowering it seems.... I'm thinking that the information overload available online has us all freaked out a bit although it is a near priceless and endless source of advice and how-to info.
I couldn't accomplish half the stuff you have done, but I think that if you're able to do something like head gaskets and such then the spark plugs on our engines should be no problem. I'd recommend the Champion one piece plugs though. I think they're part number 7989.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:03 PM
mbw

Default Strange Noise coming from my 04 Lariat

i know everyone must be shuddering when you see a title like Strange Noise coming from a used truck but i'm stuck. My guy who works on my vehicle is stuck and i'm dreading having to go to the Ford dealership with something like this so i'm asking for help...it seems while driving with a slight load on the vehicle i.e. driving up hill there is a metallic noise coming from the front end. When you jump on the gas and on a level road it's not there. My repair guy changed out my front right wheel bearing that had a rub in it, looked at the cv joints, drive shaft, pulleys, compressor, and for any loose parts. He's scratching his head. The truck's drive system doesn't feel like it's slipping plus i've had the rear clutch plates replaced last year. The noise does sound like bearings going bad...any clues?

mbw, out.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mbw
i know everyone must be shuddering when you see a title like Strange Noise coming from a used truck but i'm stuck. My guy who works on my vehicle is stuck and i'm dreading having to go to the Ford dealership with something like this so i'm asking for help...it seems while driving with a slight load on the vehicle i.e. driving up hill there is a metallic noise coming from the front end. When you jump on the gas and on a level road it's not there. My repair guy changed out my front right wheel bearing that had a rub in it, looked at the cv joints, drive shaft, pulleys, compressor, and for any loose parts. He's scratching his head. The truck's drive system doesn't feel like it's slipping plus i've had the rear clutch plates replaced last year. The noise does sound like bearings going bad...any clues?

mbw, out.
I had a strange metallic noise coming out from under the front end (kids very accurately described it as sounding like I had a grocery cart dragging under the truck). It started when using the cruise while going up a pretty good hill. Progressively got worse and would do it going through town at 30mph. After looking on here I decided to change the IWE (4x4) solenoid and that took care of it (hubs were trying to engage). Mine was the original that didn't have the "hood" to keep water from running on it.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:11 PM
mbw

Thanks will check into it...i've not changed mine out and the truck has been sitting while i was deployed.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by mbw

mbw, out.
I have the same issue on my 2004 5.4 with 127k miles. I was told its spark knock and the beginning of the end of the motor. Mine just started doing the same on a slight incline under slight acceleration (both pulling a boat and with no load at all). From what I understand the 2004 5.4L motor is a ticking time bomb due to the cam phaser and timing chain possibly due to poor oil delivery system???

Quick Reply: 04 Lariat 5.4