Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

04 grinding in front 4 x 4 noise help again

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 04 grinding in front 4 x 4 noise help again

Hey guys.i had posted a thread yesterday about the noise in my front end and everybody that responded said it was probably the solonoid that engages the hubs.....anyway i went to ford today and got the solonoid and replaced it and i still have the noise......i took the vaccum lines that were attached to the hubs off and drove around and the sound was gone......anyone no what else it could be?
Old 03-14-2008, 12:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The solenoid is what makes the noise happen. The actual sound you hear is your hub(s) getting torn up trying to engage while the axles are stationary. Did the dealer check them?
Old 03-14-2008, 08:03 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

The hubs might already be damaged from the old solenoid.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:54 PM
04 xcab 4x4

Originally Posted by budvols
Hey guys.i had posted a thread yesterday about the noise in my front end and everybody that responded said it was probably the solonoid that engages the hubs.....anyway i went to ford today and got the solonoid and replaced it and i still have the noise......i took the vaccum lines that were attached to the hubs off and drove around and the sound was gone......anyone no what else it could be?
the solenoid might not have been bad in the first place but it is the cheapest fix to start out with. I was having the same problem and mine turned out to be a hole in the vacuum line. We pinched it while tightening down the nuts on my leveling kit. Spliced it and works now cost about $8. I was lucky there was hopefully bo damage to my hubs or the IWE cause I only drove it about 10 miles after thge noise started. You should't drive your truck with the vacuum lines off because the vacuum keeps the IWE (intgrated wheel end) from engaging the four wheel drive. That is what causes the grind. Your truck is trying to halfass kick into 4wd and grinding the hub. Could be IWE, Hub, or maybe the actuator.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:44 PM

Well I finally found out what it was....its funny its the same thing that was wrong with jtbryant80's truck....i just had the level kit put on monday and that is when the noise started ....found out today that when they tightened up the bolts on top they pinched the air line to the hubs.....i lossened the bolts and took the air line out from being pinched off and tightened everything back up and it workd fine now... thanks for everybodys help...and i will get pics up soon
Old 08-01-2009, 08:44 AM

i am having same trouble , but have done no work to my truck to pinch any lines. I am being told it is the actuator.

Quick Reply: 04 grinding in front 4 x 4 noise help again