Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

04 FX4 clicking from front end - replaced solenoid, no luck

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 FX4 clicking from front end - replaced solenoid, no luck

Hey guys-

I just got my 2004 FX4 with about 70,000 on it. Test drove it and everything felt fine. I was driving it yesterday, and head the 'clicking' noise from the front end. Did some research and found its a common problem, that can be fixed by replacing the solenoid.

It will randomly start making the clicking noise, and will do so until I engage 4x4, at which point it goes away. If I take it out of 4x4, it won't start making the noise for a few seconds or up to 10 minutes. Also, If I put its making the noise, it will go away about half the time if I stop and back up a few feet- it has the same affect as if I were to engage the 4x4.

I also noticed today my 4Low doesnt work, only the HI. I replaced the solenoid today, hoping that was the problem and it still does it. I remember seeing another post about this problem after replacing the solenoid, but I can't seem to find the link anywhere.

Any suggestions would be very helpful, as I've only had it for 2 days now and would love to get it figured out instead of dealing with the whole lemon law crap.

Thanks in advance.
-Nick
Old 01-23-2010, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

toolbar, third button in from the right, its the search function

there are several forms with similar issues.

Quick Reply: 04 FX4 clicking from front end - replaced solenoid, no luck