Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

'04 with fuel injector problems???

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 02:53 PM
i'll pull you out!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '04 with fuel injector problems???

ok so i took my '04 f150 (5.4) to the Ford dealer back in march to have the rear end flushed and oil and they also changed the spark plugs (I figured it was time it has 69,000 miles on it so i figured ok!) and they suggested having the fuel system fogged so i had them do that as well. then after about a month i started to smell rotten egg smell from the exhaust so my first thought was the cats may be going bad, so i took it back to them and they said that my fuel injector or injectors are leaking and it is causing damage to the spark plugs (which looked amazing when they took the old ones out...they almost didnt want to change them) and i said well you fogged it could that cause the problem and they said that it didnt and they want like 2,000-3,000 to change the fuel injectors and check the fuel rail to see if there is any other problems! i need to get another opinion! the CEL has never come on the entire time i have owned the truck and the gas mileage has stayed the same! has anyone had or heard of these trucks having fuel issuses? the dealer told me it is quite common?! i think they are trying to take me for a ride!
Old 05-07-2008, 04:19 PM
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah about a couple of weeks ago I took mine in for an inspection. Back to Ford I went. I have an 06' 5.4L. I was getting some comments from my message center saying "Engine FailSafe Mode" the truck wouldn't shut off but it would drop to 1000 RPM's and sit there until I turned the engine off. Then I'd re-start. Run perfect.

Turns out, the Throttle body was acting crazy. He never mentioned anything about the injectors which seem to be running fine. Anyhow, 800 bucks later no trouble. Thanks to the extended warrenty 77 bucks.

I will give you a tip that I find works well even for mileage. Lucas Fuel Treatment man. It keeps everything fresh in your fuel system. I'd also recommend the oil Treatment too. Stuff really works. Hope some of my rambling helps...
Old 05-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Bleed FORD Blue

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

You might want to check this link out
http://f150online.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325766
I just got done reading about it and realized that 04 05 F-150's have injector problems I was not aware of that!
Old 05-07-2008, 08:30 PM
i'll pull you out!

wow thanks for the info guys! looks like we might try to change the injectors ourselves.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:32 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

You can change them yourself they are not hard. I SERIOUSLY doubt cleaning them caused the problem.. Those cleaners are tested over and over before being sold on the market to make sure they will not cause any problems.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:51 PM
i'll pull you out!

Question

ok cool! thanks for the input! does anyone know of any aftermarket injectors that are good? i really would rather not replace them with the factory ones if i can avoid it! thanks guys!
Old 05-14-2008, 08:55 AM

i had nothing but problems with my 5.4.. 3 sets of injectors.. Finally called a guy Jon at www.fuelinjectorconnection.com he fixed me right up// the problem is that the injector from the factory has no filter in the top of the injector like all others do.. He sold me a set of the same injectors but with a filter that they had machined to fit in the injector.. 12,000 miles later still runs perfect.. I did the swap myself, no biggi.. Told the ford dealer and they said they make money on the warrantee and replacement of these injectors. so, could care less but told me they have used the same fix from the same company for customers, they charge 560.00 for the job. I got 8 new injectors fitted with the filters for under 200 . If your car is out of warrantee i would suggest giving this fix a try. I turned on 3 of my friends.. they have no more problems.

Quick Reply: '04 with fuel injector problems???