Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

04 fuel door hinge

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 04 fuel door hinge

My wonderful little hinge pin broke on my fuel door so it flops around. I would prefer to keep it OEM if possible. The dealer wants $55 for an unpainted one. Has anyone just replaced the pin with a nut and screw? If so, how did you fix it so the door stayed shut? I've thought about using a small cabinet style magnet to do it somehow. I know the billet ones look nice and all, but with hunting season upon me I would rather spend my money on things other than repairs. I've got it out and apart to see what was broken. How cheap.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:30 PM
Auto-illiterate.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I noticed two differences between my old 03 and my new 04's gas cap and receiver (for lack of a better word). The cap is flimsy and there's no hymen blocking the nozzle hole. Is this standard on all new body trucks?

Good luck with your issue Lah.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:40 PM

I drove out the broken pin, ran a bit through the hinge holes and put in a 10-24 2 1/2 inch bolt and nut. It fits tight in the hinge and is just loose enough in the housing holes that it rotates where it won't wear out the hinge. With 2 neoprene washers for it to turn on, it feels just tight enough. I put a cabinet door magnet just on the inside of the housing to help hold it closed. Now, until the plastic door breaks off, I think it's good to go. And my wife said it couldn't be done. I think she just challenges me like that to keep me from spending money.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:18 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by lah2420
...... I put a cabinet door magnet just on the inside of the housing to help hold it closed. Now, until the plastic door breaks off, I think it's good to go. And my wife said it couldn't be done. I think she just challenges me like that to keep me from spending money.

If I suggested to my wife that she can have a pair of her shoes repaired rather than buy new ones, I'd be sleeping with the dog right now....Nice repair idea. I too notice how flimsy the gas door is, and the lack of a simple device for holding the gas cap while filling amazes me. I saw on ebay a fellow selling a simple device that holds your gas cap against the gas door. I may buy one of those; cheaper than painting the possible scrathes the gas cap can make when re-fueling.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:26 PM

i have the same problem but i want to get a black billet one to go along with the accents i put on my truck. does any one know of any that would some how work without the stock hinge? im trying to stay away from ones that stick and ones that you have to drill in paint. i was thinking maybe there was one that somehow mounts to the black plastic inside the gas shroud and sits flush with the paint on the outside that uses its own hinge? i did some research but didnt come up with anything figured somebody might have the same problem that came up with a fix? thanks
Old 11-23-2009, 06:54 PM

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

if the spring is still there, and the tab for it is all that broke off, take the 3 7mm screws out and the gas door assembly just snaps in the bedside. there is a provision for hangin the fuel cap, there is a lil hook on the swing arm of the gas cap.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:34 PM

yea that white tab broke off... i still got the "spring". im not sure if i quite understand what you mean but i will check it out tomorow and see if i can figure it out first before i ask anymore questions. thanks
Old 11-24-2009, 08:22 PM

im talking about my fuel door just flapping around because of the tab for the spring to connect to is broken. im just wondering if anyone knows of any of the aftermarket fuel doors i could get that would use its own hinge that maybe mounted to that black shroud around the gas fill tube or something. i was looking at those lockable ones and wondered how they worked and mounted since they have there own hinge?
Old 11-24-2009, 08:44 PM
FLARESIDE MAN !!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a new latch from the dealer and fix it right... for the time and effort to rig it up you can fix it right for 35.00 you will recycle your painted door
Old 11-25-2009, 01:34 PM

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

there is no latch, its spring loaded to stay closed, and only comes as an unpainted assembly.

Quick Reply: 04 fuel door hinge