Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

04 ford f150 5.4L problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 04 ford f150 5.4L problems

I have a 2004 ford f150 5.4L I was driving it and I hit the gas to accelerate and it lagged and then stalled out. The cold air intake let out a nice shot of air. I took the air cleaner off and it didnt really have much suction at all there. It still started after but shook terribly and ran rough. I did some researching and took the throttle body off, cleaned it all up, and put it back on. I bought other cleaner for the electronics on the throttle body aswell and cleaned those out. I also took off the k&n air filter and bought a cleaning kit for it and cleaned it and put the filter back on. I did all of this work, and it somehow managed to get a bit worse. I have no throttle now at my gas pedal although you can still push it to the floor. I took my voltmeter out and tested all electronics on the throttle body. It all put out significant voltage except the throttle position sensor. So, I have changed the throttle position sensor and everything is putting out proper voltage but its still idling rough though not near as bad and up and down rpms (not high rpms though) and it tries to choke out and die. And still no throttle at the pedal. Someone had told me I need to erase the wrench code that is coming up before the electronics will work in sync with eachother. However, an obd2 scanner will not erase the codes. I pulled spark plugs and they are still fine. I don't know what else to do! Any suggestions?
Old 07-19-2013, 07:20 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

whats the code that will not erase ??
Old 07-19-2013, 07:43 AM

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Checked the MAF sensor on the intake tube? (Total shot in the dark.. Every thread about shaking/bogging/idling rough/dying, everyone seems to say to check the throttle body or MAF sensor.. Ha)
Old 07-19-2013, 08:07 AM

When my MAF sensor wasn't connected properly my truck died similar to the way you described. I would check that first
Old 07-19-2013, 01:35 PM

MAF is good, the code that came up before had to do with 02 sensor I believe because its not getting enough air. My buddy had it hooked up before I changed the tps and I can't remember exactly what it said but it had to do with the throttle body
Old 07-20-2013, 06:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alesha B,

I had similar problems it ended up actually being the 02 sensor ($65) at Auto Zone.
It was throwing codes for both lean and rich all within a minute or two of each other. So, the OBD2 reader was actually right this time.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:15 PM

Default Replaced Throttle Body Still Pulls Wrench Light!!!

I have a 2006 F-150 with the 5.4. Just redid all of my chains guides and phasers! Was always told when my wrench light came on that it was my throttle body. I put a brand new one on and reprogrammed my computer by disconnecting the negative and using the jumper wire. The idle is only slightly ruff barely noticeable unless you're feeling it out. When I put it in reverse the idle goes down to 300 and then back up. Same if I turned the A/C on. The light wrench is random. Sometimes as soon as I go to take off and sometimes when I'm nearing 50 mph. The truck sat for a little while before firing it back up with the new phasers and such however the fuel tank was almost empty so I have been running premium fuel plus injector cleaner for the last 2 days. Fuel pressure reads 38-40 psi and the MAF reads .67 lb. through my code reader. Also when the wrench pops up I get no engine light just the wrench and my code reader pulls no codes besides a p1000 (diagnostic read from Ecm not complete) please help this truck was supposed to be sold 2 days ago!!

Quick Reply: 04 ford f150 5.4L problems