Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

04 f150 very rough idle! Please help! Tried everything!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 10:11 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts
Exclamation 04 f150 very rough idle! Please help! Tried everything!

Hey all!

Sorry for the long post but I need some experts advice here!

I need some help with my 2004 f150 5.4 3 valve screw 4x4 with 131k

Recently (5 months ago)did timing chain, tensioners, guides, phazers, water pump, and transmission! due to powerstroke sound and tranny went out. Did all the work ourselves, dad has a race car shop and machine shop

Now I changed my oil about 1 month ago and started having my issue, once the trucks gets to a warm idle it starts knocking and missing real bad!

Did some reading clean Maf and throttle body with success!!! FOR A WEEK

Hooked up the genesis and saw that cam phaser bank one (pass side) is not retarding the timing, but bank two is(drivers side). Switched cam position sensors, and VCT solenoids, NO CHANGE. This leaves really only the phaser left. Now these parts have less than 3k on them! Phasers is a dorman product, has anyone else had any issue with these?

I know sludge can be an issue but this engine doesn't look bad at all, but does anyone know if the oil passages are cleanable or would and engine flush be the best bet?

Read up on FPDM mine was terrible shape, installed new one. No change again.

New plugs and checked coils, no change

Read up on oil pressure, so installed manual gauge and it was lowish around 25 psi warm idle, so we decided to put in some 15w40 oil and yes pressure went up to about 43 ish hot idle oil pressure.

This seemed to have taken care of it for about 120 miles... Now problem is back again.

The truck idles to low for my liking around 500 rpm warm. (Would like a sct to bump it up)

So my next question I am thinking it is time to take it apart again and see how that phaser looks, install new if damaged,

Has anyone used the phazer lockout kit from livernois? It looks like it might be my solution(for now) is the tuner necessary? Or can I just install the lockouts

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/...der-Combo.html

I know this post is long and choppy but I really need some help here guys, I have a lot more info but didn't want to make the post any longer than it already is.

Thank you again

Andy
Old 04-08-2013, 10:22 PM
Sheep Dog

Received 327 Likes on 196 Posts

I've seen some threads recently about Dorman phasers failing shortly after install. I think I'd stick to Motorcraft for replacements on that part- expensive as they are...
Old 04-08-2013, 10:30 PM

Thumbs up

Thank you for the reply, good to hear that. And at the Oem price I would rather lock the phazers out and tune it.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:42 AM
American member

Received 1,058 Likes on 843 Posts

Sure about the coils?
Old 04-09-2013, 07:46 AM

Well when the truck is missing badly at idle if I unplug each coil it will nearly kill, one at a time of course. Haven't ohmed them out hot yet, what should they be at?

Also genesis evo is showing that entire bank 1 is misfiring...
Old 04-09-2013, 08:36 AM

Received 521 Likes on 293 Posts

I would trust the genesis and replace the phaser, especially if you swapped them already.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:42 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I stopped using dorman phasers. I had two out of three trucks come back in a months time earlier this year. switched them to motorcraft no problem sense. I try to avoid anything but motorcraft in newer fords.. its the only thing that seems to suffice.
The following users liked this post:
FordSilly (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 09:15 AM
Sheep Dog

Received 327 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by shesawindsor
I stopped using dorman phasers. I had two out of three trucks come back in a months time earlier this year. switched them to motorcraft no problem sense. I try to avoid anything but motorcraft in newer fords.. its the only thing that seems to suffice.
Too bad Ford couldn't get the phasers and cam chain tensioners right the first time.
The following users liked this post:
FordSilly (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 11:38 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by VTX1800N1
Too bad Ford couldn't get the phasers and cam chain tensioners right the first time.
Couldn't agree more!
Old 04-09-2013, 04:24 PM
F150 Forum

Received 546 Likes on 334 Posts

We ship 10+ of these kits everyday. We even have shops and Ford dealerships buying them.

The VCT system is controlled by oil pressure and in many higher mileage vehicles, the pressure is too low and the phasers fail. Installing new phasers is very costly and they don't last long before failing again, because of the lower oil pressure.

Typically, for a N/A vehicle, I would recommend the limiters because the lockouts will cause a loss of power that may not be a big deal in a power adder car, but will be noticeable with a N/A car.

The cam lockouts were built with the goal of preventing failure of the cam phaser. They do an excellent job of this and cure cam phaser issues, however they do limit the engines ability to retard the cam timing and as a result, cause a small loss in power at high RPM. The loss is small for the gain in durability and ultimate assurance that the cam phaser would not fail causing possible engine failure.

If the phaser is already bad, installing the limiters won't fix the noise, so a full lockout may be your only choice.

Simple in design and requiring no special tools to install, the limiting lockouts allow for the phaser to retard the camshaft still but limit its travel to only 20 degrees maximum. In most cases max power can be found in the 8-14 degree range of retard, so by still allowing up to 20 degrees of camshaft retard, the ability to get maximum power from cam phasing is available. Thelimiter mechanically locks after 20 degrees and prevents any further movement. This allows for use of larger camshafts with more lift and duration and prevents piston to valve issues. The other benefit that goes with the limiter is that it prevents the noise and durability issue from becoming a factor. By reducing the volume of oil and limiting the total travel rotation of the phaser the issues with noise and failure of the phaser are eliminated.

These basically make it like a fixed gear.

Here is a video of a Mustang before and after

Thank you

Regards,

Rick LeBlanc
Livernois Motorsports

Quick Reply: 04 f150 very rough idle! Please help! Tried everything!