Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

04 F150 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 11:32 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default 04 F150 Problems

Disclaimer: Sorry for posting this, I know there are a million threads on one of these problems, if not all of them, but I wanted to condense this down to a single thread. Thanks for your help!

Problem 1: I've got the tick nose. It doesn't do it all the time, only on starts when it's been sitting for a good day or two, and sometimes not even then. Obviously, I know the problem is in timing, I just want to know exactly where. Its a very high-pitched continuous ticking noise, but it won't do it after the truck gets warm. I've read the tensioners are powered by oil-pressure and when the oil pressure goes down, the tensioners slack off. Is this true? Or more importantly, is this normal?

Problem 2: I've got somewhat of a rough ride all the time. It's as if the radio is always on kind of loud, but when I turn off the radio the truck still shakes. It's not a violent shaking, just sort of weird. Fuel injectors?

Problem 3: This is probably overthinking, but whenever I accelerate, I can plainly hear a whining noise that sounds like it is coming from my far left air conditioning vent. I'll try to post a video of it later, it just sort of freaks me out. I've never had a truck that I could hear engine noise from in the cab(mostly cause my other truck had exhaust)

Problem 4: It sounds like a diesel engine when idling. Could that be a problem with phasers and timing as well?

Problem 5: It has a pretty severe jump when I accelerate, like when it's switching gears, but the transmission is actually quite fast at switching. Like it will only go to about 2,000 rpms, jump, and continue accelerating. My grandfather had a similar problem and his was the coil packs, could that be the same here?

Thanks for any help you can give! I'll probably just take it to the dealer soon, but I'd like to have an idea of problems so I don't get taken to the cleaners when I go haha!
Old 05-26-2014, 01:07 PM

probably a coil, you get any codes? check engine light? The noise from the vent might be a leak in your vacuum hose.... Keep us posted...
Old 05-26-2014, 02:14 PM

No, no CELs. And a lot of mechanics around here won't even do anything that involves these problems without one, unfortunately
Old 05-26-2014, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had no code showing for months with a hesitation when shifting into OD like that. It finally blew the misfire code. I did all the plugs and coils. I installed Accel coils but I wouldnt do that again. My stock coils tested fine and I had to pay a shop to further test out my problems. I had another bad plug supposedly, a bad connector and they swapped two coils back to Motocraft. Problem gone. Mind sounds like a diesel too. I dont want to spend the $ to do the cam phasers yet.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by taylorbowl119
No, no CELs. And a lot of mechanics around here won't even do anything that involves these problems without one, unfortunately
I'd check the coils first and the vacuum for the noise.... That's where I'd start... have you done anything yet? The noise sounds like a leaking vacuum hose

Quick Reply: 04 F150 Problems