Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

04 F150 Front Rotor Bearing Repack?

Old 01-29-2009, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 F150 Front Rotor Bearing Repack?

Hi all, quick question for you. I need to replace the front rotors on my 04 Screw (2WD) and was calling around for estimates. I was getting anywhere from $430 for rotor and pad replacement up to $750 for rotor replacement at the dealership. I ended up calling a smaller shop down the road where the guy told me he could replace both rotors for $260 out the door. I figured he may have been quoting me a price for the regular rotors w/out the hub/bearing assembly included, but he said that he has been replacing these for years by simply repacking the bearings w/out damaging the seal. After reading post after post on this forum and others, about not being able to repack the bearings on these things, I am more than a bit skeptical. Ideas?
Old 01-29-2009, 12:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's possible... But are you willing to be stuck on the side of the road a few months down the road for a few hundred dollars?

dont answer that...

One of my co-workers had them "repacked" a year ago and his truck is still rolling....

Last edited by G1itchy; 01-29-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:35 PM

I too was in need of brakes not too long ago. I hopped on the succubus Ebay website and found a deal on ceramic pads and slotted rotors for all four corners. It only rang me to 360 bucks. Check the guy out, his name is Brakelabs and I've had zero issues with the rotors and pads he sent me.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by G1itchy
It's possible... But are you willing to be stuck on the side of the road a few months down the road for a few hundred dollars?

dont answer that...

One of my co-workers had them "repacked" a year ago and his truck is still rolling....
Well, I went ahead and went with the more expensive place. After posting and thinking about it for a while, I'm going on a long trip up to NY (from Florida) in a few weeks and figured that guarantee that he gave me with the repacked bearings is nice and all, but wouldn't do me much good when I drive off the side of a cliff. Thanks for the help folks!
Old 01-29-2009, 04:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it was a Ford engineer that said "Better safe then sorry"

Welcome to the forums!
Old 01-29-2009, 04:51 PM
CREW MEMBER

I just replaced my brakes and rotors on my 2004 f-150 supercrew. When i bought the rotor it came with the bearings pressed in. I payed about $90 for each rotor
Old 01-29-2009, 06:27 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I have no problem using a good bearing cone and cup over again. And the tricks of the trade will allow the removal of the inner bearing and seal with out damage to the seal. If no signs of leakage are evident, use the seal over again being carfefull to keep the cups and cones matched. Make sense? Now, by installing a new rotor with cup, and using an old bearing cone, thats a no-no. Hope you understand my practice.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

04-up 150's use a seled press in bearing on the front rotors, they are different than the old style packable bearings on 03 and older roller style bearing and cone set up..
Old 04-19-2010, 01:34 PM
1996 f150 inline 6

Originally Posted by CTRAHAN18
I just replaced my brakes and rotors on my 2004 f-150 supercrew. When i bought the rotor it came with the bearings pressed in. I payed about $90 for each rotor
What brand and from where?

I have a 96 2wd F150. Mechanical Noob here, but was thinking of doing the job myself. Anybody know, my wheel bearings appear to come with a cap.

If I replace my rotors and Wheel bearings with something as mentioned above (already on), do i still need that cap and grease packing? I'm asking because as I review the many how to videos on Youtube (so awsome to have that really) I don't see them taking that cap off, greasing or puting it back on as part oft he wheel bearing replacement.

Many Thanks.

http://picasaweb.google.com/cyberpine/1996F150#

Old 04-19-2010, 01:39 PM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by cyberpine
What brand and from where?

I have a 96 2wd F150. Mechanical Noob here, but was thinking of doing the job myself. Anybody know, my wheel bearings appear to come with a cap.

If I replace my rotors and Wheel bearings with something as mentioned above (already on), do i still need that cap and grease packing? I'm asking because as I review the many how to videos on Youtube (so awsome to have that really) I don't see them taking that cap off, greasing or puting it back on as part oft he wheel bearing replacement.

Many Thanks.

http://picasaweb.google.com/cyberpine/1996F150#

i doubt you find any rotors for your truck that have bearings pressed in. that is a design for the 04-08 2wd trucks. its not a hard install to replace inner and outer bearinns and the seal. just make sure you get it to the right "tightness" (is that even a word?) ive been taught to tighten it down to where its gets hard to turn freely by hand then back off an 1/8 of a turn and put the cotter pin and hub cap back on with a little grease in the cap.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 04 F150 Front Rotor Bearing Repack?