Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

04 - f-150 Front bearings & rotors

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 - f-150 Front bearings & rotors

I picked the new parts today and noticed that the rotors have a gear like on the inside (back side) of the rotor. It's been a long time since i have changed bearings or rotors on any truck and this suprised me. I havn't found any information as to what i might encounter, anybody ??
Old 01-22-2010, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
(
My wife's exploder had that "gear" thing on the back of the rotor....... I was told that it is the thing the anti-lock brake sensor reads.

I just did the brakes on my 06 f150 4wd and it was pretty simple.

a couple things, the front calipers may have 2 pistons - the 4wd's do at least...... if so don't try to compress one piston without securing the other first. compressing one piston can cause the other to pop out.

the caliper slides on some stainless steel shims that are pretty delicate. Ford actually recomends changing these when you do the brakes. I reused mine, but you have to be very careful putting the caliper back on so you don't damage these shims.

sorry I can't say anything about the bearings. you don't get involved in the front bearings on a 4wd.

oh yea, like a lot of things on a late model Ford, you will prob'ly need both english and metric sockets.

Bob the Fool
Old 01-22-2010, 09:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by al6270
I picked the new parts today and noticed that the rotors have a gear like on the inside (back side) of the rotor. It's been a long time since i have changed bearings or rotors on any truck and this suprised me. I havn't found any information as to what i might encounter, anybody ??
I have a 2WD that I added custom drilled rotors. Mine unfortunately didn't come with bearings pressed in the front rotors, so finding them was the hardest thing about the whole swap. I paid $90/bearing! ugh, i know but can anyone find these Timkens anywhere? trust me, it was worth it. If you need these, let me know. I have a gal in the auto supply business that can find anything. As far as the calipers go, you can use a 6" C-clap to depress each piston down by themselves, but just go slow. Like the 2nd poster said, it has 2 pistons and if you go fast, the other will come out. But I never have secured mine, just have gone slow. Not on a pit crew afterall. Hope this helps. Good luck on the change!
Old 01-22-2010, 09:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just put the old pad in and press both back at the same time.

Quick Reply: 04 - f-150 Front bearings & rotors