Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

04 F-150 5.4 Engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 08:29 PM
Jonathanf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 F-150 5.4 Engine problems

I recentry bought an 04 XLT FX4 with a 5.4 engine. It never missed a beat till one day started to run extremly rough and eventually died. It started back up and did it several more times. It runs fine when on the highway but as soon as you went to a slow speed or idle it runs rough again and dies, but starts again. I took it to a ford dealer and first said it was the camshaft solinoid. He said it was the left side which was a rare problem, after the weekend there is further problems and claims there could be major engine problems...Just wondering if anyone has any ideas to what could have happend let me know thanks!!
Jonathan
Old 12-12-2009, 07:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know man but my 04 did kinda the same thing with the idling rough and reading camshaft sensor A and nobody on this forum seems to have a clue about problems with this. I replaced mine but it did no good so as bad as I hate to it's going to family friend who is a mechanic on Monday. Let me know if you find out anything or figure something out.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:23 PM
FLARESIDE MAN !!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ford19
I recentry bought an 04 XLT FX4 with a 5.4 engine. It never missed a beat till one day started to run extremly rough and eventually died. It started back up and did it several more times. It runs fine when on the highway but as soon as you went to a slow speed or idle it runs rough again and dies, but starts again. I took it to a ford dealer and first said it was the camshaft solinoid. He said it was the left side which was a rare problem, after the weekend there is further problems and claims there could be major engine problems...Just wondering if anyone has any ideas to what could have happend let me know thanks!!
Jonathan
Sounds like you have a broken or stuck cam phazer there is a inherit problem with the early 04/05 5.4's I have replaced many phazers, that have rounded off the end of the camshaft mounting (cam replacement) for the phazer causing a timing concern on that bank (misfire) typically all four cylinders on the effected bank. The dealer diag the concern by watching the vct
on datalogger to verify the effected bank...

good luck...
Old 12-13-2009, 02:02 AM
Lucky Number 7

Received 37 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by seniorFORDtech
Sounds like you have a broken or stuck cam phazer there is a inherit problem with the early 04/05 5.4's I have replaced many phazers, that have rounded off the end of the camshaft mounting (cam replacement) for the phazer causing a timing concern on that bank (misfire) typically all four cylinders on the effected bank. The dealer diag the concern by watching the vct
on datalogger to verify the effected bank...

good luck...
Nice!! you are gonna be REALLY helpful around here!!
Old 12-13-2009, 02:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TxOutlaw
Nice!! you are gonna be REALLY helpful around here!!
x2. don't stop posting!

Quick Reply: 04 F-150 5.4 Engine problems