Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

04 5.4l eating power steering pumps

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 5.4l eating power steering pumps

Hi there,
I'm new to this fours but have used it many times to help solve issues with my truck, but for the first time I think I need some help with my issue in particular.

I have an 04 f150 5.4 2wd and I've just burnt up my 7th power steering pump. I have a level in the front and 32 in trail grapplers. I've figured there has been a bigger issue with the steering but unable to determine it I've just been replacing The pumps As they go out but recently they have started lasting about 2 months.

I took the tires off and checked the tie rods they both seem fine. The steering shaft is fine going into the rack and pinion. So my thoughts are that there must be something up in the rack.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue? How difficult is it to replace the rack and pinion? Maybe I'm just missing something obvious?

Thanks for yallls help,
Nathan
Old 01-22-2016, 12:18 PM
Some guy

Received 2,022 Likes on 1,284 Posts

GET THE HELL OUT

Just kidding the last time I burnt up a pump, I switched to a reman AC Delco with a new pulley and flushed everything and all went well. I wonder if your system is having undue stress, like lots of steering without you moving or maybe your tie rods might be seized? Jack up the front, pull the tires off and cycle the wheel back and forth with the engine running. Listen for any noises, feel for any binding. I'd probably also pull the outer tie rod ends out of the steering knuckle and see if I can move them easily within their ball joint with just my hand and no real force. If they're really stuck, examine your tie rod boots and really consider changing both them and your inner tie rod ends at a minimum (if it were me I'd do the entire rod).
Old 01-22-2016, 12:24 PM
Some guy

Also make sure you can swing your steering knuckles easily with the tie rods disconnected.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by LaMartian
GET THE HELL OUT

Just kidding the last time I burnt up a pump, I switched to a reman AC Delco with a new pulley and flushed everything and all went well. I wonder if your system is having undue stress, like lots of steering without you moving or maybe your tie rods might be seized? Jack up the front, pull the tires off and cycle the wheel back and forth with the engine running. Listen for any noises, feel for any binding. I'd probably also pull the outer tie rod ends out of the steering knuckle and see if I can move them easily within their ball joint with just my hand and no real force. If they're really stuck, examine your tie rod boots and really consider changing both them and your inner tie rod ends at a minimum (if it were me I'd do the entire rod).

On pump 4 or 5 I did just that. Figured it was time. When I had the wheels off to do the breaks last week I too the boots off and was able to turn the tie rods about a 1/4 turn with no resistance. They seemed fine all the way up to the rack and pinion The steering is fine when the pump is working so something must be just working them over prematurely. I put a lot of miles on the truck pulling trailers and working cattle. It spends as much time in the pasture as on the highway. Do y'all know of any sort of heavy duty replacement? Is the pump off of an 04 5.4 super duty bigger? Would it fit in a 1/2 ton?

Thanks for the help
Old 01-22-2016, 12:31 PM
Some guy

The pump should be the same because it's the same engine. What fluid and pump have you been using for replacements? How does the steering feel when a new pump goes on?
Old 01-22-2016, 12:37 PM

The pump should be the same because it's the same engine. What fluid and pump have you been using for replacements? How does the steering feel when a new pump goes on?
I was using the off the shelf oriley pump and they would hand me a new one when I brought in the worn out one. The last one I tried was from Napa and it lasted just shy of 2 months. I figure I'm over due to solve the problem and wanted to really look at the steering before installing #8. As far as fluid I've tried regular ol power steering fluid and the Lucas stuff. But it did not seem to make a difference steering is great when the pumps are new. In the past I've had them go out slowly over a few weeks and recently it was there and then it wasn't. No indication of it failing.

This leads me to think there's something putting undue stress on the pumps.

Maybe I need to bite the bullet and get an aftermarket pump built for trucks with a lift and tires? Seemed a bit extreme for 295 65 tires.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:39 PM
Some guy

Well, then let's wait for the guys with lifts to chime in. BTW, I haven't had much luck with O'Reilly parts. That's why I ordered the AC Delco reman.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:47 PM

Well, then let's wait for the guys with lifts to chime in. BTW, I haven't had much luck with O'Reilly parts. That's why I ordered the AC Delco reman.
I haven't either. I worked at one my first semester of college and got parts dirt cheap. Then they were under warranty so I would get replacements and they would crap out too. Vicious cycle. But I decided to start the healing and try nappa.

If something was wrong in the rack it seems like that could stress the pump but I don't want to go replacing it unless I have a better idea of what's going on.

I normally find a bunch of threads of people having similar issues but haven't found any for this fiasco. do y'all know of anybody having issues with the rack?

Thanks again, this kind of advice is just what I'm after
Old 01-22-2016, 12:51 PM
Some guy

Originally Posted by Natewag
As far as fluid I've tried regular ol power steering fluid and the Lucas stuff.
You know you're supposed to be using automatic transmission fluid and not power steering fluid, right?
Old 01-22-2016, 01:00 PM

Hmmm I've heard of thother vehicles taking atf. But was not aware. Sounds like I've been screwing myself from the get go. Glad I didn't go pulling the rack before checking here. Always figure I could be missing something big picture. I'll try a new pump and atf and see where it gets me.

I feel pretty dumb...

Thanks man

Quick Reply: 04 5.4l eating power steering pumps