Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

04 5.4 fuel pressure issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 04 5.4 fuel pressure issue

Been having an issue with my truck intermittently running like garbage, barely starting and having very little power. Now the truck won't even start. Only code I was getting was too lean on bank one and two o2 sensors. I've checked most of the common issues maf, throttle body ect and everything seemed fine. Checked to see if the coils were firing and they were. I assumed it was getting fuel because I could hear the pump kick on for a few seconds when I turned the key. I unhooked the fuel line going to the rail anyway and I noticed barely any gas spill when I split the line. I hit the key on and barely any gas came out the line. I've been advised that it could be the fpdm but would the pump kick on if it was shot? There's a possibility it could be the fuel filter but I wouldn't think it would get that clogged all of a sudden. Could it be just a weak fuel pump or what do y'all think? Not sure how to hook up a fuel pressure tester since there isn't the common valve on the fuel rail
Old 11-13-2015, 07:58 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Could be any of the items you mentioned. The FPDM is an easy check; remove it and look for cracks or a corroded back. If it's not, then the fuel pump or clogged fuel filter may be your culprit.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:46 AM

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by tdek5462
Been having an issue with my truck intermittently running like garbage, barely starting and having very little power. Now the truck won't even start. Only code I was getting was too lean on bank one and two o2 sensors. I've checked most of the common issues maf, throttle body ect and everything seemed fine. Checked to see if the coils were firing and they were. I assumed it was getting fuel because I could hear the pump kick on for a few seconds when I turned the key. I unhooked the fuel line going to the rail anyway and I noticed barely any gas spill when I split the line. I hit the key on and barely any gas came out the line. I've been advised that it could be the fpdm but would the pump kick on if it was shot? There's a possibility it could be the fuel filter but I wouldn't think it would get that clogged all of a sudden. Could it be just a weak fuel pump or what do y'all think? Not sure how to hook up a fuel pressure tester since there isn't the common valve on the fuel rail
The fuel filter may have reached its point and not have clogged all of a sudden but more over time. It is by far the cheapest fix to see if is is that. I dont know why they got rid of the schrader valve on the fuel rail I have an 04 too. I bought the wireless pro torque to read my pressure. Good luck
Old 11-14-2015, 04:52 PM
LightningRod

Received 643 Likes on 514 Posts

Both of the prior responses are 'correct', in their own way. But @Tommy_J 's recommendation is far the best for many reasons he didn't mention. A good code reader or scanner that will give you live data is FAR the easiest way to check Fuel Pressure, as Fuel Rail Pressure is a standard parameter available from your PCM. AND the Fuel Rail Pressure reading is "relative to intake vacuum" ------ which BY THE WAY relates to another symptom you mentioned in your OP - [Quote] "Only code I was getting was too lean on bank one and two o2 sensors." [END QUOTE]. A vacuum leak is 'one' of the PRIMARY causes of lean codes on both banks!. There is a vacuum line from the fuel pressure sensor to the lower passenger side of the intake manifold. Low fuel pressure ALONE could conceivably cause a lean code - but not until the PCM had 'maxed' out Fuel Trims on both banks, which is another reading that a good code reader will give you immediately. I'm not saying a vacuum leak to the fuel rail pressure sensor would result in low fuel pressure, I do not know that (even doubt it). Neither I, nor anyone can say much more than @Bucko or @Tommy_J did without some more input. But code readers / Scanners are ALMOST an absolutely necessity for pin-point diagnosis on our trucks.

I am not a sales person for any of them or trying to plug the Torque Pro App (which I use), but the App and a Bluetooth dongle can all be had for less than $25.00 bucks and will do everything mentioned above + a ton more.
Best of luck.
The following users liked this post:
Tommy J (11-15-2015)

Quick Reply: 04 5.4 fuel pressure issue