Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

04 4.6 - loss of power very briefly - need some assistance

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 4.6 - loss of power very briefly - need some assistance

Good morning everyone, I'm new to the site and actually researching an issue for my father-in-law. The truck is a 2004 4.6 4x4 with 47k, original owner and good about keeping up with the truck.

The issue:
- driving along, not accelerating but just driving along - the RPM's drop to idle
- if you push the gas down, the motor comes back and is normal
- only occurs when hot out - we're just outside of Philly. if the temperature is mid 80's and above the issue occurs
- no codes are being thrown
- battery is new
- the security light comes on when this happens, turns off when the issue is over
- don't lose anything electrical, ac doesn't cut out, all electronics are normal when it occurs
- idle is as when truck was new and it doesn't run rough even when the RPM drop occurs. To me, it feels like when your driving a 5sp and you just put the clutch in while cruising along, no real change other than RPM drop.

Where we are:
- someone mentioned they had a similar issue - check the cam sensor (will be looked at tomorrow)
- two local mechanics can't find anything - no codes
- Ford wanted $100 per hour to check the truck. (it's "cool" out this week and not having the issue...will rack up charges quickly. He's retired so trying to not spend a fortune diagnosing the issue)
- I don't believe a full tune up has been done on the truck as of yet. I think plugs at one point but nothing else.
- clean/new air filters when needed.

Any help you guys can provide are greatly appreciated.

I did search (I'm a member of a 4Runner forum and know to do this first) but I didn't really see anything that is like this. Most of what I found were topics on 'misses'.

thanks
junr

Last edited by junr; 08-08-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading more threads, is it possible the foam in the air filter could be causing this?

I don't hear a humming noise when driving though.

thanks
junr

Quick Reply: 04 4.6 - loss of power very briefly - need some assistance