Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

04 3v barely running!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 3v barely running!

Hey guys, I have searched about this problem but didnt find the same issues im having.

04 3v 138K miles.

I bought it in the rough running condition with hopes to fix it. The guy said it started running rough and brought it to a shop and they "fixed something fuel related back by the gas tank". He said it ran fine for a while.
The problem came back and he brought it back to the shop and they told him that now has a broken valve spring and it will be $2,800 to fix.

I just got the truck so I haven't checked much so far. It looks like the valve cover bolts were never touched.

No CEL or lights on at all. (didnt scan it yet)

The truck runs VERY rough. I did drive it home 25 miles going 60 mph down the highway. When you come to a stop it dies out but will restart with a little throttle. There isnt any engine noise (knocking or ticking) It sounds like its running on 6 cylinders.

I just wouldnt think a broken valve spring would be a common thing.

Any help is appreciated!
Old 03-30-2015, 11:29 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

They probably replaced the FPDM in the rear... I would start with the basic maintenance items... plugs/COP's/fuel filter/clean TB and MAF
Old 03-30-2015, 11:46 AM

Ok, Ill start there. So a broken valve spring isnt common on these motors is it?
Old 03-30-2015, 11:47 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Naw... but, not un-heard of though...
Old 03-31-2015, 02:35 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I would scan it as soon as possible to see if there are any stored codes also if you have a scanner or access to a scanner that reads real time specs of various things I would take a look at that (I do not have a lot of knowledge about reading these parameters I am still trying to learn what to look for with such scanners as I have purchased one).

I would think it depends upon what your plan is for this truck. If you are going to keep it no matter what it takes to fix it then I would go ahead and start replacing plugs, COPs, and stuff like techrep said, certainly cleaning the MAF and throttle body and doing fuel filter would quick, easy, and cheap. These are all things you should probably do anyway if your definitely keeping the truck. If your unsure what you are going to do with it, meaning if you find some major problem that will cost you a lot to fix your going to try to resell it instead of fixing then you might not want to just go into changing a lot of stuff and try to focus more on investigating to find the problem for sure. Of course its kind of hard choice because it may be something as simple as a plug or COP but given the symptoms and no codes seems a bit unlikely.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:17 AM

Yeah if its not a major problem then im going to fix it and keep it. If its something that is going to take up a of my time and money, ill just flip it. I only paid $1,000 for the truck. So i can still make a quick buck.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:19 AM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by Sublime69
Yeah if its not a major problem then im going to fix it and keep it. If its something that is going to take up a of my time and money, ill just flip it. I only paid $1,000 for the truck. So i can still make a quick buck.
That's a hell of a price.. I'd have boughten that truck too..
I'd start with the routine ignition system tuneup, change the oil, clean the MAF and TB then see how she does after that.. After significant misfires you will likely need to replace the affected cats on the bank that was misfiring. But other than that, you could be sitting pretty with very little change leaving your pocket.

Sp515 plugs, anti seize the shanks (remove with a hot/warm motor with a 3/8 impact to avoid breakage)
Motorcraft or accel cops (dielectric grease the boot where it slips over the plug)
Fresh front motorcraft 02 sensors couldn't hurt either..
Your looking at around $350-500 in parts, and the lisle broken spark plug extractor tool is a must have for anybody with a 3v motor..

5w-30 oil is what I would recommend for your oil change.. With a motorcraft oil filter..
Old 03-31-2015, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Especial86
That's a hell of a price.. I'd have boughten that truck too..
I'd start with the routine ignition system tuneup, change the oil, clean the MAF and TB then see how she does after that.. After significant misfires you will likely need to replace the affected cats on the bank that was misfiring. But other than that, you could be sitting pretty with very little change leaving your pocket.

Sp515 plugs, anti seize the shanks (remove with a hot/warm motor with a 3/8 impact to avoid breakage)
Motorcraft or accel cops (dielectric grease the boot where it slips over the plug)
Fresh front motorcraft 02 sensors couldn't hurt either..
Your looking at around $350-500 in parts, and the lisle broken spark plug extractor tool is a must have for anybody with a 3v motor..

5w-30 oil is what I would recommend for your oil change.. With a motorcraft oil filter..
Especial86, your inbox if full! Clean out some messages. ha
Old 03-31-2015, 04:16 PM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Try it now
Old 04-27-2015, 12:21 PM

Ok, replaced all the plugs and coils. Still runs like crap. Seems a little smoother when reved up. Scanned and no codes came up. Any other suggestions?

Quick Reply: 04 3v barely running!