Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

04-08 Plow?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04-08 Plow?

Does anyone run one? I'm having such a hard time finding anything for those model years. I've also heard the suspension is not what it should be does anybody know of any good leveling kits that would upgrade the front suspension?
Old 12-02-2014, 10:35 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by teddesp
Does anyone run one? I'm having such a hard time finding anything for those model years. I've also heard the suspension is not what it should be does anybody know of any good leveling kits that would upgrade the front suspension?
I don't have one on my 05 scab 5.4 but I have a old fisher on my old 86 half ton gmc and I love the thing. go to fishers website and there is a ematch thing where you can match a plow to your truck. it asks you all about your tuck. good luck! let us know what you find.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:48 AM

I did look it up the other day I think it was a homesteader that would fit. I wouldn't have any problem if I could buy new but that's not much of an option. I was wondering if anyone had one that they retrofit. I was also kinda hoping that push plates from an older model year would fit. I'm open to suggestions. Lol
Old 12-03-2014, 10:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check on craigslist or on plowsite.com they always have lots of used plows on there.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:15 AM

I have a 7.5 boss sport duty on my 05 screw and it works great.

04-08 Plow?-forumrunner_20141204_081333.jpg
Old 12-04-2014, 10:48 AM

the boss sport duty is a good one.

Other options would be the Snowdogg MD75, Fisher HT, Western HTS, and Snoway 26 series.

The problem with the 04-08 F150s carrying a plow is not the durability of the truck and its components, although plows do take their toll on trucks. It's the axle/gross weight ratings. When you add the weight of a plow, That creates the need for ballast in the rear of the truck for safe handling, and proper weight transfer. problem is... the weight required in the rear, combined with the weight of the plow, may put the truck over it's maximum payload rating.

If you have the heavy duty payload package, or the 3950# front end in the truck, you're fine. And in my opinion, even if you don't... You're still fine! The only time you run into a problem is with a 5.4 supercrew, with a 6.5 bed and light duty front end. That's a heavy truck without the plow. Some of these plows call for up to 900# of weight in the bed of the truck. NOBODY does that. And sometimes, even the engine makes a difference. There are examples where a truck with a 4.6 will accept a plow, but a 5.4 won't, or atleast won't require as much ballast. Crazy...I know.

Having said all of this, I put a Snowdogg MD75 on my father-in-law's 2008 supercab 6.5 a couple winters ago, and the truck is totally fine with no weight in the back at all.

Stay away from the fisher homesteader, and Western suburbanite plow. The F150 will trash that thing in short order. Western's and Fisher's are made by the same company. Fisher uses trip-edges, western, the whole blade trips.

My vote would be the snowdogg.
AND, don't let anybody tell you they don't make the push plates for ANY truck. THEY DO, I promise. The fact that they don't show a plow "fitting" your truck doesn't mean they don't make it. It simply means its not recommended". Some plow dealers follow those recommendations, and some don't. Worst case... buy one online, have it shipped, and put it on yourself. Really easy.

Last edited by driver444; 12-04-2014 at 10:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
teddesp (12-04-2014)
Old 12-04-2014, 07:21 PM

I'm holding out trying to find a good deal on craigslist.. if I find a whole package will i be all set or are push plates all different shapes?
Old 12-04-2014, 08:01 PM

You might need to just find a good deal on a plow and then find a mount that is specific for your truck
Old 12-04-2014, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by driver444
the boss sport duty is a good one. Other options would be the Snowdogg MD75, Fisher HT, Western HTS, and Snoway 26 series. The problem with the 04-08 F150s carrying a plow is not the durability of the truck and its components, although plows do take their toll on trucks. It's the axle/gross weight ratings. When you add the weight of a plow, That creates the need for ballast in the rear of the truck for safe handling, and proper weight transfer. problem is... the weight required in the rear, combined with the weight of the plow, may put the truck over it's maximum payload rating. If you have the heavy duty payload package, or the 3950# front end in the truck, you're fine. And in my opinion, even if you don't... You're still fine! The only time you run into a problem is with a 5.4 supercrew, with a 6.5 bed and light duty front end. That's a heavy truck without the plow. Some of these plows call for up to 900# of weight in the bed of the truck. NOBODY does that. And sometimes, even the engine makes a difference. There are examples where a truck with a 4.6 will accept a plow, but a 5.4 won't, or atleast won't require as much ballast. Crazy...I know. Having said all of this, I put a Snowdogg MD75 on my father-in-law's 2008 supercab 6.5 a couple winters ago, and the truck is totally fine with no weight in the back at all. Stay away from the fisher homesteader, and Western suburbanite plow. The F150 will trash that thing in short order. Western's and Fisher's are made by the same company. Fisher uses trip-edges, western, the whole blade trips. My vote would be the snowdogg. AND, don't let anybody tell you they don't make the push plates for ANY truck. THEY DO, I promise. The fact that they don't show a plow "fitting" your truck doesn't mean they don't make it. It simply means its not recommended". Some plow dealers follow those recommendations, and some don't. Worst case... buy one online, have it shipped, and put it on yourself. Really easy.
I agree with everything he's saying defiantly stick with a full metal plow if you plan on using it for more than your driveway. my 86 half ton single cab gmc has a 8 foot bed with no ballast (I should put some in) and it plows great but like said before you want a plow where just the edge trips. it is a lot harder on the plow and truck with the full plow trip set up. the reason they have plows where the whole moldboard trips is simply that it's less expensive to manufacture. and also like said above the fisher ht is a nice plow in that it has all the features of a heavy duty plow but will be okay on most of the half tons

Quick Reply: 04-08 Plow?