Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

04-08 5.4 3v spark plug removal with out breaking them off into the head

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 01:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04-08 5.4 3v spark plug removal with out breaking them off into the head

I own a 2006 XLT 4x4 extended cab. When I purchased the truck it had about 70k miles on it and the plugs had never been changed. My best friend is a Ford fanatic and warned me of the high probability that the spark plugs would break off in the head due to its weird design. So to counter this, every night after I got home, I would let the truck sit until the engine was relatively cool and then I would spray Seafoam's "Deep Creep"
down into each spark plug hole.
I also put seafoam in the gas for those 2 weeks as well. Also, make sure your socket is not cocked off when you are torquing on them to break them
Loose. Align your socket/extension/ratchet with the plug. Not doing this could also result in breaking them off. Before starting, disconnect the negative cable from your battery, then Remove your intake and ECU. Next, unbolt and unplug the coils and fuel rail. Before removing the plugs, either vacuum or blow out the holes that the plugs are in. This is so when you take your plugs out, dirt and debris doesn't fall
down into the cylinder through the hole that the plugs screw into. Before you put the new plugs in, put "Anti-Seize" on the threads of the plug so that they'll be easier to remove next time you have to change them. Check the condition of the coils and
injectors while you're already in there too. Apply "Dielectric Grease" to the inside of where the plugs go into the plugs as well as the electrical connections too. Check the condition of the electric connectors too and make sure that the little orange gaskets that are I'm each connector are in place where they should be. Sometimes they will get jammed up inside the connector which will cause the connector not to seat properly over the coil plug and injector plugs too. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE 😊👍
Old 10-08-2014, 08:02 AM
Mark

Received 2,416 Likes on 2,117 Posts

so.. how many did you break... and i believe there is a ford spark plug socket specifically made for the removal.

Last edited by techrep; 10-08-2014 at 08:05 AM.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

no flames for putting anti seize on the threads.
Old 10-12-2014, 04:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just a note do not overdo the dielectric grease a very light smear will suffice to much causes more trouble than its worth. The threads are not what seizes on the plugs it's the long barrel below the threads that seizes into the head so anti seizing the threads will not matter other than putting the correct wet torque value to them if you do.

Last edited by Newfiedan; 10-12-2014 at 04:25 PM.

Quick Reply: 04-08 5.4 3v spark plug removal with out breaking them off into the head