Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

0357 engine code. HELP ME PWEESE!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 0357 engine code. HELP ME PWEESE!

Before explaining my current (and last) problem, I'll give a short timeline...

Ok, 9/15 around 6am driving home from work had a blow out, while changing the tire, battery went dead from e-lights. Wife jumped me then bought a battery and 2 new front tires. Got home around noon and missed work that night.

Next day, 9/16, bought spark plugs and sprayed penetrating fluid in the holes, after removing an inch of caked on dirt around the coils.

9/17, sprayed more, let sit for 30, then started removing the plugs. Removed fuel rails, upper intake, some hoses, and computer to have adequet ratchet room. Broke 3 plugs, sprayed more.

9/18, bought Lisle tool, 1 plug came out in 2 minutes, other 2 had to fiddle with since porcelain didn't break clean (just had to screw in tool at a slight angle), took an extra couple hours and started installing new plugs. Got all 8 installed and engine put together around 11pm then cranked engine. Had a major coolant leak and a 0357 engine code. Also noticed i had a plug missing it's mate on the coil wiring.

9/19, found missing plug with TurkeyHunter's help, took #7 coil off them put back on, thinking it just didn't make a good connection, didn't fix the engine code. Cranked up again, notices I also had a bad vacuum leak. After taking everything apart again, tried to find leak with no luck. Packed it all in at around 1am to go a few hours rest before work at 6am the next day.

Left the truck sit for about a week, so yesterday I brought it to a buddy who's a chevy mechanic. He found my vacuum leak on the #2 fuel injector, o-ring wasn't seated right. Reset the computer hoping this was also making the code appear, code is still there, laughing at me!

So, current predicament I'm in is this, I can't let my truck sit while I use my wife's car, and she uses her mom's because her mom needs her car for some doctor appointments each day until Friday. Had to drive the truck to work, so here is my couple of queries... Will this problem (0357 engine code: circuit failure on #7 ignition coil) cause any major damage if left unfixed for a few days and diven to work 84.5 miles round trip each day (about 253.5 miles total for 3 days)? And what will I have to do to fix this, just buy a new coil right? I'll recheck the coil/plug connection and make sure there's no residual debris causing the circuit to malfunction before buying anything, but it looked clean when installed so I doubt that's the case.

Any input is GREATLY appreciated!
Old 09-29-2010, 07:36 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Pat713
Ok, 9/15 around 6am driving home from work had a blow out, while changing the tire, battery went dead from e-lights. Wife jumped me then bought a battery and 2 new front tires. Got home around noon and missed work that night.
Hmmm. Next time I get a flat tire, I'm calling my wife to see if she'll jump me, then go buy me something!

On a more serious note, did you try moving the number 7 COP (coil over plug) to a different cylinder? Try this and see if the P0357 code clears and perhaps sets another code for that new cylinder.

I suspect a bad #7 COP.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:05 PM

That's #2 on the "diagnose" list. #1 is making sure everything is plugged in and fitted right. After that, plug new plug and check (might have broken something in the install phase), check compression, then I don't know...

I'm hoping this isn't something that can cause further harm to the engine. Don't have the money o buy a new one... Pretty much the same reason I did the plugs myself, don't see the point in spending $500-$800 on something i can do for $200 and a weekend.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:11 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Pat713
That's #2 on the "diagnose" list. #1 is making sure everything is plugged in and fitted right. After that, plug new plug and check (might have broken something in the install phase), check compression, then I don't know...

I'm hoping this isn't something that can cause further harm to the engine. Don't have the money o buy a new one... Pretty much the same reason I did the plugs myself, don't see the point in spending $500-$800 on something i can do for $200 and a weekend.
That's the attitude

Anytime something doesn't work after I've been repairing, I always look at where my hands were touching, as Murphys law states the fault has to be where you last were messing around.

I've read here where others have had a bad coil pack after changing spark plugs. Here's yet another time where I love my 4.2 V6; no spark plug issues, and only one coil pack!

Good to hear you saved some money.

By the way, what is making you think you have bad compression in that cylinder? Did the old plug look oily?
Old 09-29-2010, 10:23 PM

Did a google search on possible reasons for the code to appear, and it was on the list. I doubt it's the cause, but it's possible... Odds are in favor of it being a bad COP.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:07 AM

Just an update...

Got everything fixed now. She's running alittle better than before the spark plug change. The vacuum leak was from the #3 injector not seated fully on the o ring. Code was from a plug not fully connected.

So, only problem to fix left is the wheel shimmy starting at 45mph and stopping at 70mph.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did the shimy start right after you got new tires? The shop may not have balanced them when they put them on.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:42 AM

It's preexisting. Started about a year ago. I'm thinking the steering stabilizer either was never installed or is faulty.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

X2 on steering stabilizer!

Quick Reply: 0357 engine code. HELP ME PWEESE!