Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You need an exhaust because of it's sound?

Old 08-18-2013, 10:38 PM

Received 147 Likes on 84 Posts

Default You need an exhaust because of it's sound?

I'm sure to get a lot of hate replies to this.. but:

I have seen a lot of posts here with people simply wanting to make their trucks sound louder and meaner and I have no idea what the basis is for this?

I have worked for CART, ChampCar and IndyCar teams for a number of years and I also do restorations of muscle cars and older race cars, so I do have a little bit of technical background.

But for the life of me, I can't understand why people that buy a pickup truck, swap out an exhaust for the simple reason of it sounding louder or like it was a muscle car?????

Coming from a racing background, we always wanted to make a car as fast as it could be, and many times it was a result od freeing up the exhaust, less back pressure, and gaining a few horsepower, but the sound to make it louder was never a factor.
I have a 2012 SRT Challenger that I bought a high performance exhaust strictly for the HP increase and the increased sound was a side benefit? of gaining 40hp.
But these are pickup trucks, not sports cars, not muscle cars, and I can't understand why people on this forum are so proud of having a truck that they want to sound like a road racing Mustang?

Please people, give me some reasons why you want your pickup truck to sound like it is ready for road racing instead of their original ideas of hauling crap, pulling trailers, 4 by 4ing, etc.
The following users liked this post:
Damn Dirty Ape (08-20-2013)

Popular Reply

08-18-2013, 11:19 PM
Silver FX4

Received 114 Likes on 71 Posts

Why? Two reasons: 1. I like the sound. 2. It's my name on the title.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:47 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Different strokes for different folks would be my answer. Some like them loud some don't. Some like to hear the boost kicking in some don't. Some think they look cool if their truck is loud. Mine came with duals so I have no reason but I sure do like how it sounds!
The following 2 users liked this post by Joecav:
ReactiveD (08-19-2013), trailblazen (08-20-2013)
Old 08-18-2013, 10:57 PM
Flatlander

Received 283 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Team Canada

I have seen a lot of posts here with people simply wanting to make their trucks sound louder and meaner and I have no idea what the basis is for this?

I have worked for CART, ChampCar and IndyCar teams for a number of years and I also do restorations of muscle cars and older race cars, so I do have a little bit of technical background.

But for the life of me, I can't understand why people that buy a pickup truck, swap out an exhaust for the simple reason of it sounding louder or like it was a muscle car?????

Coming from a racing background, we always wanted to make a car as fast as it could be, and many times it was a result od freeing up the exhaust, less back pressure, and gaining a few horsepower, but the sound to make it louder was never a factor.
I have a 2012 SRT Challenger that I bought a high performance exhaust strictly for the HP increase and the increased sound was a side benefit? of gaining 40hp.
But these are pickup trucks, not sports cars, not muscle cars, and I can't understand why people on this forum are so proud of having a truck that they want to sound like a road racing Mustang?

Please people, give me some reasons why you want your pickup truck to sound like it is ready for road racing instead of their original ideas of hauling crap, pulling trailers, 4 by 4ing, etc.
It is absolutely a personal thing. For me it's not to sound like a street machine. It's always been about the presence. I have never had a quiet truck. In retrospect, the catback actually HURT my bottom end, but it was minor.

I come from a "big block or nothing" background though. I love the sound of a well augmented truck. I used to pride myself in being to pick out a truck just by the sound. Small block chev, Ford, etc.

I understand your view though. It is the same thing I think when I see these Dodge Neons ripping around with the giant fart cans hanging off the back. Pretty sure the decals add more horse power
Old 08-18-2013, 11:01 PM

Received 105 Likes on 87 Posts

Because it sounds badass.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:04 PM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

I like mine dead Quiet, don't care for all the noise! Its a draw for the cops anyways!
Damn Dirty Ape (08-20-2013)
Old 08-18-2013, 11:13 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm not sure this is what you're looking for but I am looking at an exhaust if I can determine a meaningful performance gain. I like my ecoboost being quiet. Only in the market if I can find a worthwhile performance gain with no noise increase, except I wouldn't mind hearing the turbos a little more.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:19 PM

Received 114 Likes on 71 Posts

Why? Two reasons: 1. I like the sound. 2. It's my name on the title.
The following 17 users liked this post by Silver FX4:
Benwatheone (08-19-2013), BlueFX45.0LSupercab (08-20-2013), Bogie89 (08-19-2013), Fx4_lineman (08-21-2013), Grandpa's Grocery Getter (08-20-2013), kozal01 (08-19-2013), Kytann (08-19-2013), LonghornXLT (08-19-2013), misterb-fx4 (08-19-2013), NastyFFX4 (08-19-2013), ns_redneck (08-19-2013), Pitch Black (08-21-2013), Romulous (08-19-2013), smurfs_of_war (08-18-2013), Starrbuck (08-19-2013), TNHItter (08-19-2013), trailblazen (08-20-2013) and 12 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-18-2013, 11:23 PM
Engineer

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

If the people you are talking about are the ones that actually believe a cat-back exhaust is going to give them gains on their otherwise stock truck or a kid that puts a fart can on a Neon (both of which probably also believe that stickers add power) and want you to hear their engine crackle and pop from a mile away then I'm with you. However, I'm sure you'll find that most people that do it just like to hear the sound of their engine and aren't trying to make their truck sound race ready. Also, if I was around the kind of engines that you are everyday that would probably be more than enough to get my fix and I'd be less likely to want my truck to be louder. It's all relative so stop looking for an equation that's going to solve it!!!

Last edited by ClaySlayer; 08-18-2013 at 11:35 PM.
ReactiveD (08-19-2013)
Old 08-18-2013, 11:32 PM
Beer Gut Extraordinaire

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,317 Posts

*Some stuff about muscle cars..*

*Droning on about uses for trucks and how loud trucks shouldn't exist*
Because V8 trucks sound awesome. People buy exhausts for their trucks for the same reason people buy exhausts for their cars. To listen to the motor. If you don't like it, keep your truck stock. Don't be bashing people who have different tastes and uses for their trucks.

Let me ask you this..Why do people put 12" lifts and 40" tires on a truck that never sees anything other than pavement?
The following 4 users liked this post by HCFX2013:
ComQuest (08-19-2013), Grandpa's Grocery Getter (08-20-2013), LonghornXLT (08-19-2013), ReactiveD (08-19-2013)
Old 08-18-2013, 11:32 PM
Iowa Farmer

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

When your muffler is held on with hose clamps and wire, it tends to sound like crap. I removed it so my truck didn't sound like it was on its last leg...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: You need an exhaust because of it's sound?