Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Late Model F150s > 2009 - Present Ford F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 07:49 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Wiring a truck cap 3rd brake light and dome light

Does anyone know specifically where there might be a dedicated wire to tap into for the dome light and 3rd brake light when adding a fiberglass cap to the bed. The cap dealer said they just splice into a wire at the one of the tail lights, then somewhere above the headliner, but I read somewhere, Ford provided a dedicated wire...any help?? I'd rather use a dedicated wire if one exists to avoid a potential future problem....
loughman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:54 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
BucketMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 1,858
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanks: 96
Thanked 288 Times in 213 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

If you can wait till tomorrow I should be able to get you an answer then.

I had a ARE put on my truck the other day with a 3rd brake light and a dome light. I'll see where they ran the wires tomorrow when I get a chance to crawl under it.

It is hot wired so the dome light can always be turned on though.
BucketMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:21 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

When I had my are cap installed they used a dedicated wire under the hood on the drivers just in front of the firewall. There was a green wire there that the cap dealer said was the dedicated wire that they ran under the truck. I wasn't in the shop when they did it. I do know that they also removed the drivers taillight and tapped in there also- possibly for the brake light. I wasn't allowed in the shop for insurance reasons so I couldn't see exactly what they did.
Jim
elrod64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:31 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
BucketMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 1,858
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanks: 96
Thanked 288 Times in 213 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Ok, I took a look, im no electrical genius, so bear with me.

For power they tapped into the bolt that connects the battery to the fuse block located at the front of the engine bay. There are 2 large red cables that connect the battery to it, these are secured with a small bolt and nut. They simply attached a wire to it with an inline fuse and then ran it around the engine compartment towards the back of the truck.

Now, this is where it get a little lost. The wire runs on the driver side and near the firewall there is another inline fuse. On one side of the wire a very small guage blue wire with orange stripe runs into a factory wiring harness. The harness is pretty substantial and taped up pretty well, I have no idea what it is for, the wire simply disappears into it. On the other end is a white wire that enters a piece of loom and goes with the wire from the power source to the back of the truck.

I hope its not too confusing, but, thats all I got!
BucketMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:34 PM   #5
2011 Lariat Screw EB
 
murf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Manitowoc, WI
Posts: 1,253
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanks: 22
Thanked 75 Times in 58 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Yup, gotta run either from the fuse box or directly off the battery for the dome. If you run direct off the battery you have to put an Inline Fuse!! But yes it'll be constant power so make sure to turn it off. If your ok with leaving the keys in to run the dome you can run off the constant power coming off of you 7 pin harness. It's the orange wire.
murf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:35 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
stmartin84's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Sharpsburg, GA
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Thanks: 41
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by murf View Post
Yup, gotta run either from the fuse box or directly off the battery for the dome. If you run direct off the battery you have to put an Inline Fuse!! But yes it'll be constant power so make sure to turn it off. If your ok with leaving the keys in to run the dome you can run off the constant power coming off of you 7 pin harness. It's the orange wire.
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm looking for help with this. Can anyone tell me what fuse I can tap into (maybe a spare?) to run the dome light and possibly add a couple more of the same line? I also want to add a couple 12V power points in the back as well as wire up the third break light. Thanks!
__________________

2013 F150 XLT V8 5.0L SCrew, towing package, 3.55 gears, 302A, ceramic tint, bedrug.
stmartin84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:44 AM   #7
Da Dog Whisperer
 
Snowdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SW PA
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmartin84 View Post
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm looking for help with this. Can anyone tell me what fuse I can tap into (maybe a spare?) to run the dome light and possibly add a couple more of the same line? I also want to add a couple 12V power points in the back as well as wire up the third break light. Thanks!
What are you going to run with the power outlets? That will determine how heavy of a wire and where you get your power from. If you aren't pulling a lot of power from the outlets you should also have a line running to constant power in there. Here is a diagram of that plug. You should be able to tap into the trailer wiring for the dome light in the cap, you can use the tail light wire (#4 vehicle end) if you don't mind the running lights on to have the dome light work or the constant 12v (#3 vehicle end).
Click the image to open in full size.

Also check this page I found. It is for the 2011 but it also has a link to where the green/black wire is for the older model to tap into. Sadly there is not an easier way other than run a wire to the front of your truck. You could make a small circuit with a couple diodes and relay that tap into your brake lights at the rear or buy a module that does the same thing. It is a lot easier and cheaper to run a wire to the front. I would also make your connections with a butt connector and black tape to keep water out, personal opinion there.
http://www.f150forum.com/f38/2011-ch...e-light-83548/
__________________
Sarcasm, just another service I offer.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #8
My Other Vehicle Flies!
 
Greg Owen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Flemington, NJ
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 62
Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Just posted this on another thread, too...

I have a matching Tuxedo Black Jason cap on mine. It was wired up where I bought it, but watched them do it. They removed the left tail lamp assembly and spliced the brake lamp & dome lamp in right there. The dome lamp is wired to the tail lights, so the tail lights have to be on for the dome lamp to operate.

On a side note, I also ran a continuous hot wire myself to the back, installed a couple of switches--one for 3 LED strips, and one for a 12v power supply. If you want, on your 7-pin plug, there is one wire that is "hot" while the truck is running. It is meant for while towing RV's to charge any 12v system they may have installed. You could tap that wire for your auxiliary 12v plugs, but would only work while vehicle is running.

Everything is connected with simple male & female spade connectors (coded, of course so there isn't any mix-up on what wires need to be connected to each other). When it comes time to remove the cap, I simply unplug everything and lift it off.

Pics below...
Attached Images
   
__________________
2010 F150 XLT SCAB, Tuxedo Black w/matching Tuxedo Black Jason cap; Chrome, Convenience, Drivers, Towing, Sirius/Sync Pkgs.; 4.6 3v; 6.5ft bed w/Jotto Cargo Slide; Ranch Hand Brush Guard w/30" LED Lightbar; Custom Running Boards w/Integrated Turn Signals; USAF Edition Coverking two-tone (ABU & tan) tactical seat covers.
Greg Owen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
stmartin84's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Sharpsburg, GA
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Thanks: 41
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog View Post
What are you going to run with the power outlets? That will determine how heavy of a wire and where you get your power from. If you aren't pulling a lot of power from the outlets you should also have a line running to constant power in there. Here is a diagram of that plug. You should be able to tap into the trailer wiring for the dome light in the cap, you can use the tail light wire (#4 vehicle end) if you don't mind the running lights on to have the dome light work or the constant 12v (#3 vehicle end).
Click the image to open in full size.

Also check this page I found. It is for the 2011 but it also has a link to where the green/black wire is for the older model to tap into. Sadly there is not an easier way other than run a wire to the front of your truck. You could make a small circuit with a couple diodes and relay that tap into your brake lights at the rear or buy a module that does the same thing. It is a lot easier and cheaper to run a wire to the front. I would also make your connections with a butt connector and black tape to keep water out, personal opinion there.
http://www.f150forum.com/f38/2011-ch...e-light-83548/
Thanks for the information first. To answer your question about "what am I going to power?" basically if we are sleeping back there we need a power source for charging cell phones, maybe an iPad and possibly blowing up an air mattress, but that's about it.

So, you're saying if I tap into the 7 pin the truck has to be on? I guess I could run a wire from the passenger side fuse panel using one of the spares and a 10A or a 15A fuse to a direct line to the new 12V plugs.

As to the third break light I can't tap into the 7 pin break lights?
__________________

2013 F150 XLT V8 5.0L SCrew, towing package, 3.55 gears, 302A, ceramic tint, bedrug.
stmartin84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #10
Da Dog Whisperer
 
Snowdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SW PA
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmartin84 View Post
Thanks for the information first. To answer your question about "what am I going to power?" basically if we are sleeping back there we need a power source for charging cell phones, maybe an iPad and possibly blowing up an air mattress, but that's about it.

So, you're saying if I tap into the 7 pin the truck has to be on? I guess I could run a wire from the passenger side fuse panel using one of the spares and a 10A or a 15A fuse to a direct line to the new 12V plugs.

As to the third break light I can't tap into the 7 pin break lights?
For those examples you could tap into the 12v at the trailer hitch with no issues. If you were running something that pulls more than 10 amps then I would run a different wire to the outlets. If you are running up front to the fuse box I would use a 16 gauge power wire just to be safe. The lower the number of wire the thicker the wire is and the more current you can safely pull through it.

As far as the 3rd brake light goes, these trucks flash the same bulb as the brake light for their turn signal. That is the same as the trailer wiring. If you tapped into just one you would get a flashing 3rd brake light when that signal was active and possibly feed voltage into all lights and computer when the brake was applied with the turn signal on. There is a dedicated circuit for the brake light that is independent of the turn signals and that should be used. I just looked at my 13 XLT and it is very easy to find the blue/orange stripe wire to tap into. Get some wire loom and tie the new wire inside the loom to the existing harness running down the frame.

Also I always use wire loom when running anything. It looks neater and gives an extra layer of protection against shorts.
__________________
Sarcasm, just another service I offer.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:14 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Door Ajar Light and Dome Light Wont Turn Off Big_Mac 1997 - 2003 Ford F150 29 01-25-2013 10:30 PM
dome light wiring. massive1 General F150 Discussion 3 07-06-2011 02:56 PM
Door switches, dome light and chime wiring SOG 1987 - 1996 F150 5 10-08-2010 06:03 AM
Camper shell 3rd brake light wiring onebuilder 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 6 08-13-2009 09:25 PM
89 F150XLT Dome/Map light wiring. WIDE LOAD Introductions 3 05-11-2008 01:51 PM

Join F150 Forum

 

The Mustang Source
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 20011 F150forum.com
This site is in no way affiliated with the Ford Motor Company.