Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiper arms locked in ice

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 11:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Wiper arms locked in ice

We were blessed with about six inches of ice and snow on Christmas eve which the new SCREW handles with ease BUT when I turned on the windshield wipers they didn't budge.

After some cursing I found the entire cavity in front of the windshield under the plastic cover filled with ice so the wiper mechanism is totally bound up in ice.

Has this happened to anyone else? This is the wife's truck and I'd hate to have this be a regular occurrence whenever we get ice and snow.

The truck sits outside so it will always pick up ice and snow, and yes I hear about this everyday from Mrs Rat. I thought remote start would let me put off building a new garage but this ice problem shot holes in that strategy.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:59 PM

Received 256 Likes on 146 Posts

If its gonna snow pull the windshield wiper blades so they're sticking out from the windshield.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:36 AM

It's not that the blades themselves are stuck in ice but the connecting arms below the cowl that are entombed in a block of ice.

27 years of driving in Kansas have taught me all about ice and snow but I've never had a car that allowed so much ice to collect in the cowl that it bound up the wiper motor arms.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by statikuz
If its gonna snow pull the windshield wiper blades so they're sticking out from the windshield.

X2

That's what I do....looks retarded but it works
Old 12-28-2009, 07:32 AM

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by statikuz
Originally Posted by Ford Fx4
X2

That's what I do....looks retarded but it works
Been doing this for many, many years as well but the OP has stated something different.

Sounds like something is blocking the drainage under the cowl and the well is filling with water. We just had a big snow/ice event here in NC last weekend and I had no issues like this.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:04 AM

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

My truck is parked outside 24/7. I use one of these:

http://www.brilliantbob.com/php/prod...therbuster.php
Old 12-28-2009, 12:13 PM
RejectedReject

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Creek Rat
We were blessed with about six inches of ice and snow on Christmas eve which the new SCREW handles with ease BUT when I turned on the windshield wipers they didn't budge.

After some cursing I found the entire cavity in front of the windshield under the plastic cover filled with ice so the wiper mechanism is totally bound up in ice.

Has this happened to anyone else? This is the wife's truck and I'd hate to have this be a regular occurrence whenever we get ice and snow.

The truck sits outside so it will always pick up ice and snow, and yes I hear about this everyday from Mrs Rat. I thought remote start would let me put off building a new garage but this ice problem shot holes in that strategy.

Its not that often that we get winter storms that are that wet. I would say this is a fluke and you should not have to worry about it everytime it snows. I have never had this problem and we just got whacked with the same storm as you guys.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could just stuff a rag in there when bad weather is predicted. Then just pull it out in the morning and throw it in the bed. Problem solved on the cheap.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:59 AM

The sun came out today and wiper problems melted away. It was more of annoyance than anything, the first real issue of any kind we've had with the truck.

It couldn't have been too big of a deal because I bought new F150 today for myself, a 2010 blue flame supercab XLT. I'll get some snow pictures tomorrow, it really is a sharp truck.

Quick Reply: Wiper arms locked in ice