Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield replacement: blue or green tint?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 09:05 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Windshield replacement: blue or green tint?

Unfortunately we got a significant rock chip in the windshield of our 2010 F150 Platinum. Two months ago we had Safelite fix the rock chip, but last week the chip started cracking. The crack grew about 2.5 inches in two days alone.

We called Safelite to schedule a replacement of the windshield ($450). They asked me a few questions to make sure the correct windshield was ordered, such as if we had rain sensing wipers. One of the questions was "what color tint does the windshield have, blue or green"? Honestly, we cannot really tell if there is a blue or green tint, or hue to the windshield. I told the person on the phone that I guessed it was more blue than green. He then said blue is more rare than green, and it was more likely green.

We are scheduling the repair next week, and want to make sure the correct windshield gets put in. How can I truly tell if the windshield is the blue or green one? Is there a number somewhere? Will the VIN reflect it?

Also, we were told by a co-worker that no after market windshield will be as good as the factory glass. He said he has gone through three separate windshields in the last ten years after having the factory one replaced, mainly because of lower quality replacements. Is this true? It seems odd windshield places like Safelite would install lower quality replacement glass.

Thanks in advance for any help and clarification.

Last edited by dkpeppard; 05-17-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:32 AM
Okie Coupe

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

They should know what the standard tint for a stock later model F150. You could probably get information from your dealer. I had my windshield replaced after only 3 days. If you will notice the newer model trucks do not have the 4" shade at the top like they use to. When I ordered my new windshield the glass guy said I could get a new windshield with the F150 logo and 4" shade at the top for the same price of $300.

They must be really making a killing charging $450 where you are.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by shortride
They should know what the standard tint for a stock later model F150. You could probably get information from your dealer. I had my windshield replaced after only 3 days. If you will notice the newer model trucks do not have the 4" shade at the top like they use to. When I ordered my new windshield the glass guy said I could get a new windshield with the F150 logo and 4" shade at the top for the same price of $300.

They must be really making a killing charging $450 where you are.
I actually just called the dealer. They asked for our VIN and checked the type of glass. They dealer did not see any detail regarding color hue, but they did state there was clearly only one part number available as replacement glass for a Platinum, mainly due to the rain sensor in the windshield.

The dealer states he didn't see that an after market windshield was available for the Platinum, so I should clarify with Safelite if they were ordering replacement glass from Ford. I will call them now and find out.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:45 AM
Unofficial Glass Guru

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

i wouldnt suggest Safelite for anything... they are a national company who is owned by a parent company Belron from the UK... their techs work on commission and have been sued many times for steering policy holders away from locally owned independent glass companies... i would suggest picking a local company where the money you invest stays within the city/county/state.. dont let your insurance company bulley you into using Safelite either...

if you have a rain sensor and want the F150 logo, your choice is only a DW1748GTY.. there is a shade part number (GBY), but there isn't a list price which means Carlite will produce it, just not yet..
Old 05-17-2011, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Commander316
i wouldnt suggest Safelite for anything... they are a national company who is owned by a parent company Belron from the UK... their techs work on commission and have been sued many times for steering policy holders away from locally owned independent glass companies... i would suggest picking a local company where the money you invest stays within the city/county/state.. dont let your insurance company bulley you into using Safelite either...

if you have a rain sensor and want the F150 logo, your choice is only a DW1748GTY.. there is a shade part number (GBY), but there isn't a list price which means Carlite will produce it, just not yet..
Hmm. Interesting info on Safelite. Both our insurance company (USAA) and our dealer recommended them.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:58 AM
Unofficial Glass Guru

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by dkpeppard
Hmm. Interesting info on Safelite. Both our insurance company (USAA) and our dealer recommended them.

USAA recommends them because Safelite is the TPA for USAA (Progressive, Geico, Hartford, Liberty Mutual, USAgencies, etc are the same way). they are actually the worst insurance company when it comes to claims.. http://www.freshnews.com/news/434967...audit-programs read that, very interesting..

the dealer recommends them because the dealership probably uses them for sole reason is their prices are cheaper... thats how it is and always has been..
Old 05-17-2011, 11:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure and demand that they use http://www.carlite.com/ glass. This is the only OE glass that Ford installs in ALL their vehicles. I had mine replaced by a local glass co (not some big chain) and they used this. I'll bet that Safelite is planing on using aftermarket thus the question regarding the tint.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:14 AM
FN SWT

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

USAA recommends them because Safelite is the TPA for USAA (Progressive, Geico, Hartford, Liberty Mutual, USAgencies, etc are the same way). they are actually the worst insurance company when it comes to claims.. http://www.freshnews.com/news/434967...audit-programs read that, very interesting..

the dealer recommends them because the dealership probably uses them for sole reason is their prices are cheaper... thats how it is and always has been..
USAA is a fantastic insurance company and in the past 15 years have never had an issue with any of their services. On that same note...I have used Safelite a few different times and have never had an issue there either. You can't beat someone coming to your office and taking care of everything so I don't have to leave work. Seems pretty simple....
The following users liked this post:
willieboy (03-18-2013)
Old 05-17-2011, 11:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is the correct answer!!!!
Old 05-17-2011, 11:25 AM

Thank you for this information. Interesting information. Very glad you showed it to us.

Quick Reply: Windshield replacement: blue or green tint?