Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Late Model F150s > 2009 - Present Ford F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2014, 09:06 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Will Larger Tires Cause A Problem?

This is probably a stupid question, but if I install 33" or 34" tires will that be a problem with my warranty when it comes to the transmission?
Camofreak117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:26 PM   #2
One Clean Machine
 
Toddman34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 5,340
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Thanks: 699
Thanked 698 Times in 599 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Default

Shouldn't, but mostly depends on your Dealer! Biggest hit will be MPGs...
__________________
2012 XLT 4X4 Screw|EcoBoost|
Toddman34 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toddman34 For This Useful Post:
ns_redneck (03-27-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 09:29 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Makes sense. I mean look at the Raptor with larger tires. I also wonder if wheels with some offset will make a difference.
Camofreak117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:36 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
ruff rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 352
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Thanks: 19
Thanked 87 Times in 59 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Larger tires as what you are looking at should not cause any warranty problem. If you have factory navigation the larger tires will cause it to not work properly. There is a fix if this happens with the nav unit. Unhook your battery negative cable from the battery for 1 hour. After you hook it back up the nav will work fine again.
ruff rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:00 AM   #5
2013 Ruby Red FX4 SCrew
5 Year Member
 
FordEver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NL, Canada
Posts: 1,343
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Thanks: 120
Thanked 185 Times in 122 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff rider View Post
Larger tires as what you are looking at should not cause any warranty problem. If you have factory navigation the larger tires will cause it to not work properly. There is a fix if this happens with the nav unit. Unhook your battery negative cable from the battery for 1 hour. After you hook it back up the nav will work fine again.
I have read this here many times about the battery cable and I don't understand how this works. Logically it makes no sense. Don't get me wrong, I am not shooting the messenger, just passing along a comment.

I mentioned this to my dealer when I was asking about calibrating the speedo after a tire upsize and he told me same thing, that it shouldn't affect the NAV system. But peeps here swear by it, so it must be right. I just can't comprehend how it can happen
FordEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:00 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 5
Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordEver View Post
I have read this here many times about the battery cable and I don't understand how this works. Logically it makes no sense. Don't get me wrong, I am not shooting the messenger, just passing along a comment.

I mentioned this to my dealer when I was asking about calibrating the speedo after a tire upsize and he told me same thing, that it shouldn't affect the NAV system. But peeps here swear by it, so it must be right. I just can't comprehend how it can happen
Like most computers, ctrl-alt-del, needs its head cleared once in awhile. Don't ask why just works.......6 months and still working. And mine was doing it with stock tires, so its an issue that goes beyond changing tire size.
cford716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:07 PM   #7
2013 Ruby Red FX4 SCrew
5 Year Member
 
FordEver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NL, Canada
Posts: 1,343
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Thanks: 120
Thanked 185 Times in 122 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cford716 View Post
Like most computers, ctrl-alt-del, needs its head cleared once in awhile. Don't ask why just works.......6 months and still working. And mine was doing it with stock tires, so its an issue that goes beyond changing tire size.
You got that right. BUT still, it makes ZERO sense for a truck that you may or may not be able to program an alternate tire size for to be able to correct your NAV for new tires without leaving your driveway.
FordEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:59 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
ruff rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 352
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Thanks: 19
Thanked 87 Times in 59 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordEver View Post
You got that right. BUT still, it makes ZERO sense for a truck that you may or may not be able to program an alternate tire size for to be able to correct your NAV for new tires without leaving your driveway.
Some times we just think to much. Just do it. Fix the problem. Be happy.


If I have a problem and every thing I was told to fix it didn't work and some one told me to jump up and down on one leg eight times and it fixed the problem, I don't ask why I just drive off happy.

Last edited by ruff rider; 03-27-2014 at 01:03 PM.
ruff rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:02 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Collierville, Tn
Posts: 852
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanks: 41
Thanked 99 Times in 78 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

our trucks have an adaptive learning computer. disconnecting battery sets it back to factory default settings, mainly tranny shifts. i do this with my wifes Flex, don't no how to explain it but feels like the transmission shifts lazily. after disconnecting the battery, both cables the shifts are firmer like new.
white08gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:19 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 506
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanks: 7
Thanked 70 Times in 38 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camofreak117 View Post
This is probably a stupid question, but if I install 33" or 34" tires will that be a problem with my warranty when it comes to the transmission?
Tires wont cause warranty problems
Just MPG problems
__________________
2012 F150 ECO SC 157" PLATINUM
fcancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:19 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
tires, transmission, warrenty

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Join F150 Forum

 

The Mustang Source
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 20011 F150forum.com
This site is in no way affiliated with the Ford Motor Company.