Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why the stock air intake sucks

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 03:08 PM

Received 387 Likes on 274 Posts

Was doing a little maintenance on the ole girl yesterday and took the air box cover off the check the filter. After removing the filter I saw this.

While I appreciate the fact reputable sources have said the factory set up flows sufficient air for most applications, sans larger turbo and fueling upgrades this is just frustrating. Its absolutely clear, and already known that moisture has a direct route from the fenderwell to the intake, this just illustrates it vividly.

I took my big hunting trip in December of last year and know this is where the mud came from. There was no major off-roading, no submersion of the truck, just muddy logging roads, had they not also had snow on them I really hadnt even needed 4wd, my truck really didnt even get that muddy, just road spray.

So, check your filters regularly. I have an AEM drop in, got a great deal on it. I plan on cleaning it more often after seeing this.

End rant, just wanted to vent, thanks for listening.
Attached Thumbnails Why the stock air intake sucks-image-2431385542.jpg   Why the stock air intake sucks-image-3307999649.jpg  
Old 03-02-2015, 03:22 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Cause it's sucking threw the inerfender. Picking up all the dirt and watever u drive ur truck threw. I'd get a cold air or ram air intake . But u still alway got to check them and make sure there staying clean
Old 03-02-2015, 03:37 PM
FX4RoadWarrior

Received 494 Likes on 353 Posts

Install a snorkel?

Install a foam pre filter?

Maybe I should look at mine I go through muddy logging roads all the time.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:51 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

cold air intake is not going to help much of anything but becoming addicted to the extra noise you will now hear. You'll stomp the pedal more to hear the roar and you'll lose MPG as a result. CAI for the most part are psychological. Very few regular street cars/trucks will make any use of the sales pitch promises.
The following users liked this post:
mcfarmall (03-03-2015)
Old 03-02-2015, 04:21 PM

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

I don't understand why they would run a snorkel out through a fender well where road grime and mud or sand is constantly being slung up by the tires. Why is the snorkel not pointed towards the front of the truck and the grill with a screen in it to catch any large bugs etc.....?
Old 03-02-2015, 04:37 PM

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm wondering if a piece of cheese cloth covering the inlet port would help.
The following users liked this post:
GreyFX4Eco (03-04-2015)
Old 03-02-2015, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Viking1204
I don't understand why they would run a snorkel out through a fender well where road grime and mud or sand is constantly being slung up by the tires. Why is the snorkel not pointed towards the front of the truck and the grill with a screen in it to catch any large bugs etc.....?
Likely cause the body design existed prior to the powertrain, so they adapted it, just like the CAC debacle and the size of its opening.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:46 PM

Im not a fan of CAI's, but this may be the one advantage they do have. For me, im just going to watch it closely and clean as necessary.

This def gives Full Race the advantage with their CAI, but way out of my price range.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:53 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Looks to me like it's doing it's job, now if you have that kind of grime on the other side of the filter and tubing to the intake manifold you probably have a bad seal on the filter itself.

The lower part of the intake is pulling in air and what ever else particulate matter that happens to find it's way inside the fender, remember there is an inner fender that also blocks a lot. It's the filters job to keep it on that side and not the other where it would get ingested into the engine.
The following 2 users liked this post by RLXXI:
BCMIF150 (03-03-2015), RES4CUE (03-02-2015)
Old 03-02-2015, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Looks to me like it's doing it's job, now if you have that kind of grime on the other side of the filter and tubing to the intake manifold you probably have a bad seal on the filter itself.

The lower part of the intake is pulling in air and what ever else particulate matter that happens to find it's way inside the fender, remember there is an inner fender that also blocks a lot. It's the filters job to keep it on that side and not the other where it would get ingested into the engine.
I certainly agree the filter is doing its job. The is a perfect line showing the filter is indeed blocking the dirt. However I think this design is making the filter work harder than it has to. IE: Pull air from the front of the truck like the FR CAI and the 2015 models do.

Quick Reply: Why the stock air intake sucks