Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does the OEM snorkel taper down from 3" to 2.5"? + Adding a velocity stack!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 10:12 AM
I remember Page 47™

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why does the OEM snorkel taper down from 3" to 2.5"? + Adding a velocity stack!

So does anyone know why the snorkel tapers from a 3" pipe down to a 2.5" at the opening?

I got the bright idea to make the oem holes larger and add more of them, but after thinking about it I'm pretty sure all this did was create more air turbulence on the way in. To counteract this my next mod will be to cut the snorkel where it begins to taper near the base and add a Blox 3" velocity stack attached with a silicone coupler. While I know this probably won’t make much of a difference since it's in place before the filter box, it's only a $35 investment and it's got to be better than what I have going on now and better than completely removing the snorkel. Plus it can be used on any 3" intake later down the line. I'll take pics of it put together once I get it in the mail.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:27 AM
^ drinks KC Tea

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

fords been doin it that way since the 97 bodystyle came out. we have done whats called the gotts mod which is basically getting a 3 inch pipe and rounding the outside and shoving that into the fender in place of the stock one
Old 04-26-2010, 05:58 PM
I remember Page 47™

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm familiar with the Gott's mod on the earlier models but the snorkel is different for the '09+. Instead of the hole in the fender well this snorkel has a trapezoidal base which clips into the back of the air box and is "sealed off" from the engine bay by rubber mating. To do the Gotts mod on these you would either have to cut the tube out of the plastic base and add your own pipe (which would be a pain in the butt!), cut the tube down near were it tapers from 3", or remove the snorkel completely which may let in warm engine air.

I just wanted to know the engineering behind why Ford does the taper. There's definitely a reason for the design or else they wouldn't have incorporated the velocity stack and the smoothed holes in the body.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:05 PM

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Completely removing the snokel will gain you 7 RWHP (at 5200 RPMs) if done in conjuction with a custom tune. I doubt that increasing the size will accomplish much of anything.

As to why; I suspect it's to maintain air velocity and to assist in minimizing drone, but I really don't know.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:03 PM
New F-150 Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also believe its a silencer, to make it quieter, but as shotgun said, don't really know why...works fine though...
Old 04-26-2010, 08:25 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

I believe it has to do with velocity of the air, it is in essence a venturi effect whereas as air being "sucked" in through a smaller opening will increase in velocity.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:28 PM
New F-150 Owner

so its possible the gotts mod actually slows the velocity of air? Would this change the amount coming in?
Old 04-26-2010, 08:30 PM

Slightly off subject, but I did the GOTTS mod on my truck two weeks ago. I could feel more power and hear the new sound right away. So far Iam getting +1 mpg more than before one the computer reading. I havent hand calculated but i had never gotten 540 miles to a tank before doing this. BTW I have 33" tires and leveling kit installed
Old 04-26-2010, 08:36 PM
New F-150 Owner

What year model you have?
Old 04-26-2010, 09:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I removed the snorkel about a month ago and got maybe a minimal difference than with it on, but I didn't add anything back in it's place. Today for grins and to combat boredom, I hacked up the remains of the factory intake on my old truck, cut the taper off of the snorkel, and made a new snorkel with an angled 3" tube going into the fender and opening up right in front of the headlight. I filled the truck up right after this and reset the MPG counter. Hard to say right now if any difference will be seen, and I haven't driven it much yet with it on. It seems minimally better in the acceleration, and then again I could just be fooling myself. But I do have piece of mind now actually having something here and not leaving just a big hole.

Quick Reply: Why does the OEM snorkel taper down from 3" to 2.5"? + Adding a velocity stack!