Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel well debris protectors

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wheel well debris protectors

Hi all, I recently purchased a 2010 F150 XTR supercrew 5.5, great truck so far but noticed something the other day. If you look behind the front bumper where the fog lights (or driving lights) are located, you'll notice the black plastic protector inside the wheel well on comes part way down, in turn leaving the wiring and fog lights completely exposed to the elements. At first I thought they forgot them, then I went to check others and sure enough none of them have full protection. The rear wheel wells are the same way. I then went and looked at Chevys, Toyotas, Dodges just to compare and they all have them. Anyone else notice this or know of a reason why they aren't installed?

Thanks.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:30 AM

Hadn't noticed the wiring yet, don't sound good. The rear wheel well... maybe Rhino liner?
Old 04-07-2010, 10:47 AM
This picture scares you

I don't have mine to look at today (got the wifes truck) but if I am seeing this correctly in my head you are talking about the inner fender liner, the black panel that goes around above the tire? If that is what we are talking about it sounds like they just cheaped out on putting it in there, I can see this not being that big of a deal because the carp from the tire would be sprayed toward the back of the car, not toward the front as you drive.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by camstng66
I don't have mine to look at today (got the wifes truck) but if I am seeing this correctly in my head you are talking about the inner fender liner, the black panel that goes around above the tire? If that is what we are talking about it sounds like they just cheaped out on putting it in there, I can see this not being that big of a deal because the carp from the tire would be sprayed toward the back of the car, not toward the front as you drive.

I dunno...mine already has crap on the wiring
Old 04-07-2010, 06:13 PM

My old Ram had what I called “inner fender tubs” that kept all that flung off the tires from getting into all of the nooks and crannies. The ’09 and ‘10 F150’s have nothing. There was a similar discussion a few weeks back. The general consensus was that keeping the area between the front tire and the exhaust manifold clear was for cooling purposes. Plus, a possible weight reduction?

I added mud flaps and that helps keep stuff of the paint. The deep tire tread collects the mud and the centrifugal force lets it fly. As you all know the dirt and mud gets everywhere. The last time I washed the truck I could rinse mud out from behind the front bumper from spraying water at the lower grill and fog lamps!

With all the wiring and connections underneath, you would think they would have added some sort of protection. Can’t wait to see where the sand ends up after some 4X4 beach driving later this summer.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:19 PM

Thanks to everyone for the input. Cam you are correct, I am referring to the plastic inner fender liner and I agree that they cheaped out. I noticed the build up of mud on the fog lights after going to the cottage this past weekend. My concern is during the winter months when the salt etc will eat away at the wiring/lights which I have no doubt will happen. I guess I'll have to find a solution. Any ideas are welcomed!
Old 04-07-2010, 09:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not so concerned about the fog lights as I am by the amount of crud that makes it way all over the motor and accesories. This past winter the motor was white from the salt spray off the front tires. I've been thinking of trying to cut up some rubber mats and attach them to the plastic wheel well around the strut tower to help keep the motor cleaner. I didnt consider that the space is for cooling though..

Quick Reply: Wheel well debris protectors