Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel spacers

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel spacers

Anybody familiar with wheel spacers?!

Yay or nay? Anyone has an opinion on them?
Old 04-08-2016, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've looked into them but I haven't bought them.
The roads I travel are really curvy so I've never bought them.
From what I've seen they can be dangerous. Had a friend who drives a Cummins and he was going down a highway when all of a sudden his left front wheel broke off his truck.
If you have an Instagram account then you should check out @TruckRice3.1
The guy makes fun of ****ty trucks and posts about spacers regularly.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:28 AM

Received 173 Likes on 116 Posts

i had spidertrax on my old jeep gr Cherokee - imo, they're fine .... but it's an important item so don't go cheap (you'd think this would be obvious...but it aint). for a part that is vital to keeping 1 of your 4 contact patches attached to the cage that is hurtling your fleshbag down the interstate get the best you can find whether you can afford them or not.

the main issue is like a lot of stuff - people install them then never check or maintain them ... so when they "fail" is it the spacer, or is it the fact that the moron who installed them didn't use Loctite, didn't clean the hub, didn't torque them initially, and then never checked them again?

I've also heard that they speed up the wear on the bearings ... there's definitely logic to this (moving the leverage out further) but I'll let people with more mechanical knowledge or experience weigh in. Even if it does, I think it's just another maintenance issue if you choose to use them - like engine mods, pay to play
Old 04-08-2016, 03:31 PM

Received 217 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowpig
i had spidertrax on my old jeep gr Cherokee - imo, they're fine .... but it's an important item so don't go cheap (you'd think this would be obvious...but it aint). for a part that is vital to keeping 1 of your 4 contact patches attached to the cage that is hurtling your fleshbag down the interstate get the best you can find whether you can afford them or not.

the main issue is like a lot of stuff - people install them then never check or maintain them ... so when they "fail" is it the spacer, or is it the fact that the moron who installed them didn't use Loctite, didn't clean the hub, didn't torque them initially, and then never checked them again?

I've also heard that they speed up the wear on the bearings ... there's definitely logic to this (moving the leverage out further) but I'll let people with more mechanical knowledge or experience weigh in. Even if it does, I think it's just another maintenance issue if you choose to use them - like engine mods, pay to play
Another vote for spidertrax. Had them on my FJ. Perfectly safe as long as you can follow instructions.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:57 AM

Received 893 Likes on 585 Posts

I was just on their website. I didnt see anything for Ford later than 1996.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by eyecandynsx
I was just on their website. I didnt see anything for Ford later than 1996.
interesting - i'd shoot them an email and ask if it's because of the way 97+ f150's are engineered so they can't design spacers that are safe .... or if it's just that the market is slim now that wheels are so cheap

if spidertrax says it's because they can't make safe ones, personally i'd take that as the final answer and not risk them. there are few mods that are as vital to occupant safety / safety of everyone else on the road - this is one of them
Old 04-09-2016, 10:16 AM

Received 217 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowpig
interesting - i'd shoot them an email and ask if it's because of the way 97+ f150's are engineered so they can't design spacers that are safe .... or if it's just that the market is slim now that wheels are so cheap

if spidertrax says it's because they can't make safe ones, personally i'd take that as the final answer and not risk them. there are few mods that are as vital to occupant safety / safety of everyone else on the road - this is one of them
Spidertrax is more geared to the 4 wheeling crowd so their spacers can handle the abuse. Another spacer maker is Bora.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:47 PM

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

couple key things here, if you use loctite, torquing is pointless, anything on the stud throws off the torque. you might as well just tighten them.

as mentioned before, don't go cheap, most cheap ones are just aluminum ring with holes and studs. our trucks are hub centric so you should look for a spacer that is dual hub centric, meaning not only is it machined to fit the lip on our hub, but also has a lip on it to center the rim.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by morehousej
couple key things here, if you use loctite, torquing is pointless, anything on the stud throws off the torque. you might as well just tighten them.

got some science for this?
Old 04-11-2016, 08:35 AM

Received 125 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by morehousej

Quick Reply: Wheel spacers