Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel "Poke" Question - Need some advice before I pull the trigger!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wheel "Poke" Question - Need some advice before I pull the trigger!

Hi Everyone,

I've got a question that I've been searching for an answer to for quite some time now, but haven't figured it out yet so I figured I'd toss it out to the always helpful crowd out there

I'm looking to purchase some 20x9 KMC Addicts +18mm offset. I'm not a fan of wheels that stick out past the fenders, so I'm a little wary since this is a wider rim than my stock 20" chrome XLT/XTR rims.

I will likely be going with a 275/65/20 Duratrac tire (stock width, 34" tall) to try to keep the tires tucked in and as close to stock as possible in terms of how much they poke out past the fenders. I've looked at as many pictures of +18 Addicts as I can find, but most have a much wider tire (eg. 305/55/20, 295/60/20) so it's difficult to tell exactly how much the wheel will stick out with a stock width tire.

So, will these rims stick out substantially more than stock? If yes, how much can I expect them to stick out? Will they be tossing debris all down the side of my truck?

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated, you guys are all awesome, thanks in advance!

Old 09-18-2014, 12:08 AM

Also, I'll be going with a 2" level kit as well.
(likely the 1.5" AutoSpring, but that's still up in the air as I haven't done much research on brands yet)
Old 09-18-2014, 12:19 AM

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

This was my 2010 with 275/70/18s on +18 Monsters. It'll give you a rough idea. Only picture I have left
Wheel "Poke" Question - Need some advice before I pull the trigger!-image-1042945144.jpg

Last edited by Apeman; 09-18-2014 at 12:21 AM.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:28 AM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

Well my 275/70R18 on a -12 offset stick out maybe 1.5" tops. So your wheels be tucked in a little over an inch more.

Also think of this when you use a leveling kit that pushes your wheels in the fender more slightly too! Not much but it all adds up.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:11 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here ya go man. Plenty of pictures with that offset and a leveling kit!!!

https://www.customwheeloffset.com/wh...l_offset_to=24
The following users liked this post:
FireRescue_Ford (09-18-2014)
Old 09-18-2014, 10:38 AM

Thanks guys for the quick replies

JPW_07 - Very cool resource that I didn't know about!

So far I'm still running into the same issue, which are setups that are similar but not exact (12.5" tires, large fender flares, big lift kits, or poor pictures/camera angles), so it just leaves me guessing as to what the final product will actually look like.

Anyone else have some info or pics? Really hoping to figure this out since I'm not willing to spend $3000 on wheels that I'm not confident I like the look of. It's a pretty popular wheel, so I'm sure my unicorn setup/pics are out there, just haven't found em yet!

Thanks again in advance!
Old 09-18-2014, 11:48 AM
Custom User Title!

Received 62 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by FireRescue_Ford
Hi Everyone,

I've got a question that I've been searching for an answer to for quite some time now, but haven't figured it out yet so I figured I'd toss it out to the always helpful crowd out there

I'm looking to purchase some 20x9 KMC Addicts +18mm offset. I'm not a fan of wheels that stick out past the fenders, so I'm a little wary since this is a wider rim than my stock 20" chrome XLT/XTR rims.

I will likely be going with a 275/65/20 Duratrac tire (stock width, 34" tall) to try to keep the tires tucked in and as close to stock as possible in terms of how much they poke out past the fenders. I've looked at as many pictures of +18 Addicts as I can find, but most have a much wider tire (eg. 305/55/20, 295/60/20) so it's difficult to tell exactly how much the wheel will stick out with a stock width tire.

So, will these rims stick out substantially more than stock? If yes, how much can I expect them to stick out? Will they be tossing debris all down the side of my truck?

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated, you guys are all awesome, thanks in advance!

I believe your stock wheels are 7.5" wide and +44 offset. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not sure on the XTR/XLT.

If this is true, these will stick out 1.75" more than your stock wheels. (0.25" less backspacing, and 1.5" wider).
Old 09-18-2014, 12:40 PM

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by KPT2
I believe your stock wheels are 7.5" wide and +44 offset. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not sure on the XTR/XLT.

If this is true, these will stick out 1.75" more than your stock wheels. (0.25" less backspacing, and 1.5" wider).
Wow you confuse me there, but your end result was right.

Offset is based on the wheels centerline. So a wheel that is 1.5" wider and the same offset would have .75" go to the outside and .75" go to the inside.

44mm offset to 18mm offset moves the centerline of the wheel outward almost exactly 1" (25.4mm = 1in)

so yes, the outer lip of the wheel will move out 1.75in.

BUT...
he's keeping the stock 275mm tread width, so the tires tread will only move out the 1" of the offset change.

The "bulge" of the sidewall all said and done should be out approximately 1.3" vs a stock 275 on a stock wheel.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:19 PM
Custom User Title!

Received 62 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperCruzin
Wow you confuse me there, but your end result was right.

Offset is based on the wheels centerline. So a wheel that is 1.5" wider and the same offset would have .75" go to the outside and .75" go to the inside.

44mm offset to 18mm offset moves the centerline of the wheel outward almost exactly 1" (25.4mm = 1in)

so yes, the outer lip of the wheel will move out 1.75in.

BUT...
he's keeping the stock 275mm tread width, so the tires tread will only move out the 1" of the offset change.

The "bulge" of the sidewall all said and done should be out approximately 1.3" vs a stock 275 on a stock wheel.
I've found most people understand backspacing a lot more than offset so that's how I always try to explain it. You're right on the tire position changing less, because the new wheels are wider and stretch the tire out a bit more.

Op, here's a handy chart you can use to convert offset and width to backspacing, or visa versa, in case there are other wheels you like with different specs. It's about a third of the way down the page. This also has some other handy info on wheel fitment and specs.

https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html
The following users liked this post:
FireRescue_Ford (09-18-2014)
Old 09-18-2014, 08:16 PM

Thanks KPT2, the link helps me wrap my brain around it a little more... I've done my share of research on offset/backspacing but its always a little confusing to me!

I was checking out your build thread, you've got a wicked KR!

Since your Black Rhino wheels are 20x9 and +12mm offset with 275/65/20 tires, presumably the +18mm Addicts with same size tire would be quite similar in how much they stick out from the fender? (besides the fact that you've got the small bit of extra fender width from the KR trim)

Last edited by FireRescue_Ford; 09-18-2014 at 08:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Wheel "Poke" Question - Need some advice before I pull the trigger!