Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What'd you give up to get yours, and why?

Old 07-14-2014, 10:42 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Default What'd you give up to get yours, and why?

A current thread just made me think of this. What'd you give up/trade in/sell to get your truck?

We pull a camper. Our first camper was a 16' hybrid with a single axle. We tried pulling it with a Kia Sorento, but short wheel base + short camper = disaster in towing. There was so much sway it was crazy. So we sold the Kia and got the Yukon.

It was a used 2003 GMC Yukon Denali with 129,000 miles on it. Lots of power, but the former owner was a smoker. I tried everything, but you still got a whiff when it was damp outside.

This thing did nothing but eat my lunch from the day I bought it. I couldn't have walked on the lot with "SUCKER" written on my forehead in Sharpie and bought a bigger lemon. It had to be held together with peanut butter and a prayer. I knew it reeked of smoke and it needed tires and a brake job, but... it was a used car, had the room we needed and the power to pull safer. So we quickly upgraded to a 28' camper because hey, we can pull it!

Oh, that GMC could SMELL when I had money. I learned quick that the suspension was shot. So new shocks and leveling compressor later (about a grand), I did the brakes and got new tires. Better.

Then the throttle position sensor went kablooey. Usually a $30 fix, but no no, not on this one. It has the same engine as the Cadillac Escalade, so it was built into the housing. The entire throttle body had to be replaced. $220.

Then the air went out. Replaced the entire system. Then took it to the shop because it was STILL f-ed up. Leaks in the lines repaired.

Then comes the transmission. Woo hoo! $3k more on the card.

Did I mention this was all within a year and a half and 5,000 miles?

So let's recap:
Tires
brakes
entire suspension and leveling compressor
throttle body
A/C system
transmission

I finally got my renter to sign a new lease which let me say "It's time." My truck was love at first drive. Sold the POS GMC for a huge loss, and was glad for it.

And what a wonderful feeling to know it's under warranty.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:48 AM

Received 570 Likes on 473 Posts

Interesting topic Joe...I'll play.

Had a 2006 FX4 Screw that I loved. Nothing wrong with the truck honestly, but a lot of regular maintenance was about to hit. Ball joints, plugs, tires, etc etc etc and I still had payments on it.

My wife and I each keep a little "fun money" aside after the bills are paid and the essentials are taken care of each month. This comes out to a couple to few hundred for each of us. It's our way of giving us each an allowance so to speak...she usually spends it on unneeded clothing...mine on truck and cycling stuff. When I made the mention of the great deal on the new truck she quickly asked where the money for the difference in payment would come from. I gave up a hunk of my fun money so that our monthly shared expenses wouldn't change in the end. Seemed fair.

I do love that warranty though, and having a better than average dealership to work with.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:13 AM
Retired and loving it!

Received 536 Likes on 398 Posts

We traded our beautiful 2008 Corvette straight across for our 2010 XLT SCREW, because I was retiring and we needed to tow a TT for our big planned trip.
We then took off for 100 days and 14,000 miles all around the United States and New Brunswick......she sure was beautiful, though not as comfortable as the F-150...there are some days that I miss this car, but not that often:

Name:  SAM_0308.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  183.3 KB
Old 07-14-2014, 11:14 AM

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm in. I was single with just a big *** Alaskan Malamute. Had an 09 Dodge Ram quad cab. Great truck besides a few sensors that went out, all replaced under warranty. Started dating my now wife. She has a then 1, now 4 year old. I couldn't fit his car seat in without moving the passenger seat up and also making it real tight for my dog back there. I was at the ford dealer getting my inspection done (bought the ram used) ran into my sales guy who was now manager of new car sales. It was the end of the year and they were pushing the 2012s off the lot. Ended up working a hell of a deal on a new Super crew. Been happy and loving my truck ever since.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:15 AM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I had a 2008 fx4 with 8 inch lift no issues. Then the wife told me she was with child our first. So I contemplated keeping the big truck and came to the conclussion that maybe it be better to see what i could get on trade and not have to deal with a big truck out of warranty .so I got a slamin deal on my 2013 fx2 and couldnt be happy.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:19 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I didnt give up anything really. My daughter turned 18 and child support was finished, since I have money put aside to help her with school I decided it was time to trade the 2003 F150 Lariat that had 140,000 miles on it to a 2014 FX4. Actually cost less than the support payment.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

2001 Dodge Ram. Had the 5.9l engine. I drove it for the last 10 years or so and put 100k miles on it. The tranny had been rebuilt once, the heater core replaced at least twice along with the water pump, dash cracked so bad that I just put a cap over it, and tranny was starting to act up again. One day it started revving like crazy and got super sluggish, woulnd't shift right at all. So I head to the shop I always take it to, and when I turn around in a parking lot, it won't change gears into reverse. So I have to finagle my way out of the lot, in D but only in 1st and limp it to the shop. It won't even go in park when I get there, had to turn it off in D, then push it around and into the shop (that was a huge pain).

Turned out to be a 600$ repair of a solinoid in the tranny (can't remember exactly what it was called) but was much better than the 2k a new tranny would have been. Started looking for a new truck that week, found mine about a month and a half later.

The money I save on repairs and gas make up most of the difference. Also, right before I bought the truck, I had finished my Masters degree which gave me a pay raise. So all things combined, I live on about the same amount of money I did before, just with a new truck.

Dealer gave me 5k for the truck, plus incentives and I walked out paying around 27k for the new truck.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:24 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

we had a 2004 quad cab dakota with 62K miles on it. almost perfect condition. then an unexpected addition to the family, my baby girl. so, with two 15 year old boys and a baby girl, the truck was too small. so we traded the truck and two harley sportsters for the ruby red 150. im so glad we traded in our bikes. my wifes was a 2008 with 1,200 miles on it. mine was 2009 with 5,000 miles. we never rode after the baby came along so it was time to clean out the garage.
Attached Thumbnails What'd you give up to get yours, and why?-img_6666.jpg  
Old 07-14-2014, 11:26 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by supercrewser
I didnt give up anything really. My daughter turned 18 and child support was finished, since I have money put aside to help her with school I decided it was time to trade the 2003 F150 Lariat that had 140,000 miles on it to a 2014 FX4. Actually cost less than the support payment.
oh man, i remember the day my $549 a month child support stopped.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:27 AM

Received 398 Likes on 344 Posts

i traded my 09 with the 4.6 in on my 2011. I wanted the 5.0L

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What'd you give up to get yours, and why?