Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the dealer trying to pull here???

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 07:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What is the dealer trying to pull here???

Hi all,

I bought my truck three weeks ago. Went in and negotiated a deal based on the Internet price that was posted. The dealer gave me their in-house discount, and then the Ford $2,000 rebate, and 2.9% financing.

I didn't get the best deal; about 15% off of MSRP. But, I was satisfied that I did OK. I did feel kinda dumb for not working harder for a better deal, especially after seeing some of your deals! and no special throw-ins, i.e. bedliner, etc.

Fast forward three weeks. I get a call yesterday, the salesman asks if I can come in and sign my company's "X-Plan" paperwork. Turns out my company has this arrangement with Ford. I mentioned that I never brought it up in the sale, and never used it as a negotiation tool, so I didn't see the point in signing. His reply was that it's how they wrote the paperwork.

I'm calling BS. They quoted me the deal we signed to before I told them who I worked for. I think they're trying to get a commission or kickback from Ford.

What do you think? Anybody have insight into how this works? If they are pulling a fast one, should I agree to sign for a throw-in, such as a bedliner?
Old 06-11-2009, 07:47 PM

Received 256 Likes on 146 Posts

IMO, who cares if they're getting a kickback from Ford? As long as it isn't costing you any more then you originally negotiated for I don't see the problem. If they didn't know you were Xplan eligble at the time of the dealing then I don't see how they "wrote the paperwork" that way.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:18 PM

The X-Plan price is usually pretty good (18% +/-?) and they can only charge you set fees (Ford Regional Advertising Fee) and not dealer paperwork fees.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default .78 multiplier

When negotiating for a price, take the MSRP and multiply it by .78. This is where you should START you negotiation for a price. Dealers know this and will respect that you know what you are talking about!!!!!

They will usually work right around that price, maybe a $100 less but this is usually your best price right off the bat.

I got mine for .74 after telling my dealer that a competitor was offering me .75. Get the best deal you can, dealers are very hungry in this economy.

Do not settle for 15% off, not a good deal at all.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:12 PM

dealers are very hungry in this economy.
This isn't necessarily true in every market and every dealer - in my area there's only 2 dealers, the closest are 200 miles away and in the next state. Some dealers know they will sell that truck to someone else at more profit, especially if they have a rare- or oddly-configured truck or specific model (my FX4 was the only one they had).
Old 06-11-2009, 10:31 PM

the dealership is going after more or the most money they can get, as any bussiness should do
Old 06-12-2009, 04:42 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I already realize I didn't get the best deal - no surprise there! But too late now, so please don't rub it in.

I also realize they are a business, and expect they'd make as much money as possible.

However, if I'm going to sign paperwork for the X-plan, and the X-plan is a better deal than I got, then I'd better get the X-plan!!!

So does anybody know for sure what the X-plan amount is? Should I pursue this?

Thanks!
Old 06-12-2009, 09:23 AM

You can post the VIN in this forum to get the correct invoice and X-Plan price:

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums...p?showforum=45
Old 06-12-2009, 11:01 AM

They have to show you the X-plan price and then take all rebate's off of that. The guy showed me the sheet on the truck I just bought and it had the X-plan price along with the A plan and the other couple of plans. X plan was a few hundred more than the A-Plan(ford factory employee), but was actually less than the invoice price.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:32 AM

Since the deal is done, they want to pretend they sold it to you with the X-plan and pocket the money. I would not sign.

Quick Reply: What is the dealer trying to pull here???