Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird Average MPG After Filter Change

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 10:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Weird Average MPG After Filter Change

so changed the air filter from a the original stock motorcraft to new one purchased from the Ford dealership. The original was really dirty. Before changing the air filter my average mpg would move pretty quickly even towards the end of a gas tank with over 500 miles, the average would fall pretty quick from 17.8 to 17.5 going up a hill at 50mph for a minute or so at 1,800rpm. Now after the new filter even with only 50miles on the average it is moving much slower. Did i need to do something beside pull out the old filter and put in the new? Very strange. Did anyone else have this happen? Or is this how the average should work. I mean at the end of the tank the average mpg on the screen was always accurate to the miles driven and fuel refilled.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:21 AM

Received 871 Likes on 695 Posts

Never noticed mine changing after swapping to a clean filter. Nothing else is needed other than take old out and put new one in.

Wayne
Old 09-01-2015, 08:28 PM
Fully retired now!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Filters and Changes

Originally Posted by Megamole
so changed the air filter from a the original stock motorcraft to new one purchased from the Ford dealership. The original was really dirty. Before changing the air filter my average mpg would move pretty quickly even towards the end of a gas tank with over 500 miles, the average would fall pretty quick from 17.8 to 17.5 going up a hill at 50mph for a minute or so at 1,800rpm. Now after the new filter even with only 50miles on the average it is moving much slower. Did i need to do something beside pull out the old filter and put in the new? Very strange. Did anyone else have this happen? Or is this how the average should work. I mean at the end of the tank the average mpg on the screen was always accurate to the miles driven and fuel refilled.
Unless I missed, you didn't specify how your truck is configured. 2WD or 4WD, EB or 5.0, rear end 3.73 or 3.31? Canopy, lid, or neither? These will all factor in, presuming the rest of the activity is the same. For what it's worth, you really don't need a special set of filters. They're for performance more than mileage. That said, I use the factory oil filter when I get the Works Package from the dealer. Of course, I do this every 5,000 miles. It's actually cheaper than I can do it myself, what with semi-synthetic oil prices and all. Besides, since I usually get it done by the dealer from whom I purchased the truck, I get a free truck wash out of it (big whoop, but hey . . . ).

As far as the air filter is concerned, I suggest going with a high-efficiency DRY filter. I was using a K&N and it worked well for the performance side. However, the Ford engines seem to run hotter. Mine caused the filter oil to vaporize just enough to get on the MAF sensor. Next thing I knew, the truck seemed to think it was at 10,00 feet and would quit running after just a few minutes. Fortunately, K&N (God Bless them!) stood behind their product and refunded me the cost of a tow to the dealer, the work at the dealer to clean the sensor and install a new filter.

I've since gone to the SynthFlow dry filter from AiRaid and have not had an issue.

Lastly, don't trust the computer too much. Back it up with your own calculations. I've found as much as 1.5mpg difference between the computer and my own numbers.

Hope this helps. Let us know how things progress.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2013 f150 screw 6.5 bed ecoboost 3.31 4x4. Factory filter, always do the works oil change with a tire rotation every 5,000 miles. Changed the air filter after 30,000 miles. It was black. After that tank the mileage match my hand calculation on that tank. It now changes slower than previous but not as quickly as the first 30,000 miles. But all seems to be the same average 17.7 or so per tank. Overal mileage since ownership 17.1mpg this includes towing and all trips. I am very happy with the truck. Same mileage as my Tacoma same specs, but now a bigger truck

Quick Reply: Weird Average MPG After Filter Change