Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waxing Schedule Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 05:58 PM
n/a

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Waxing Schedule Advice

This is the first summer that I will not have a covered parking area for my truck, and I am looking for advice on a waxing schedule that will keep my clearcoat well protected for the duration I own this vehicle. Currently, I handwash the truck once per week, and am waxing it every three to four weeks. I live in Louisiana, so we'll be well into 90-100 degree temperatures and 10+ hours of direct sunlight for the majority of the time until late September. Should I be waxing more/less? Does a particular exist which is specially designed for these conditions? I appreciate any constructive advice!

Last edited by LA F150XL; 06-20-2014 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:16 PM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

My basic answer is: wax as necessary..

I live in S. Florida, no covered parking, and at work the sits in an large, open lot. I wash as necessary and wax my truck every 4 months...and just before any long road trip (helps keep the love bugs from sticking).

I keep an eye out for bird droppings...very quickly those sea gull droppings will ruin the clear coat! If bird does it's business, I wash the truck ASAP and hit that spot with a bit of wax.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:46 PM

Received 169 Likes on 137 Posts

A quality "wax" can last 4-6 month's. AutoZone or Wal-Mart stuff not so much. When it stops beading water it's time to reapply
Old 06-20-2014, 06:52 PM

Received 138 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by king nothing
A quality "wax" can last 4-6 month's. AutoZone or Wal-Mart stuff not so much. When it stops beading water it's time to reapply
I disagree with the comment about the autozone/Walmart stuff, they sell some decent stuff. But when the water stops beading off, it is time to wax.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:59 PM

Received 398 Likes on 344 Posts

I use a quick detailing wax every month and a good wax job every 3 months or so
Old 06-20-2014, 07:41 PM

Received 570 Likes on 473 Posts

Wax every 4-6 months.
Wash as you see fit, using a good car wash specific liquid, some even have waxes embedded in them.
Dry and use a quick wax spray to finish the detail. You can use the spray on the wheels too so that you can help keep the brake dust at bay.

That's my method. I also clay/polish/wax once a year since my truck sits outside, uncovered, 24/7/365.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:19 PM

Received 169 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by azmidget91

I disagree with the comment about the autozone/Walmart stuff, they sell some decent stuff. But when the water stops beading off, it is time to wax.
You may think that until you have actually used some high quality stuff
Old 06-20-2014, 10:31 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Spring and fall
Old 06-20-2014, 10:46 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

If you wait for the water to run off instead of beading up, you've waited too long and the paint will have already begun to oxidize.

I agree with azmidget91. I get wax at Target and WalMart. Specifically, simple Turtle Wax works very well and doesn't cost much. There are more expensive products out there (been there, done that) but in this case, older=wiser. No, I'm not knocking the expensive waxes, just don't see the need.

My truck is parked outside. Living along the ocean, I have to take extra precautions because of salt air. I wash it once every two weeks and apply Turtle Wax Instant Wax each time before drying it off. Simple stuff to use: spray it on while the truck is still wet. Wipe dry and your waxing is done. And it isn't as time consuming as it might seem. Spritzing the wax on the wet surface causes the water to run off and the whole thing, wash and waxing, takes me about 40 min. Works on chrome and wheels as well. Truck is five years old and I still get comments that it looks like new.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:33 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you really want to protect your paint, theres a little ritual that needs to be followed. Once a year I clay the car. The clay bar picks up microscoptic particals that can cause surface scratches on your coat. Also every six months I seal the paint. Paint sealer is like a wax, but it creates a hard like shell over the paint. This makes it resistant to bugs and little rocks. Also
makes your paint shine. Then about every other month I apply wax to give it a warm look. I do this to all my vehicles. I take almost an entire day to do the entire F150. And I dont use cheap waxes from big stores. They are made very inferior to professional grade stuff. Im a little OCD when it comes to keeping my vehicles paint in top shape. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Waxing Schedule Advice