Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to make my 2WD suspension as high it could be without lift kit or spacer.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to make my 2WD suspension as high it could be without lift kit or spacer.

I have a 2WD f150 2012 xlt/stx supercrew model and I regret buying 2WD because of the height comparison with the 4WD. I don't want spacers or a lift kit simply because either I don't want to mess up the suspension or pay too much money. So I was looking into bilstein 5100 shocks with the adjustable height preference.

With having a 2WD height and putting a bilstein 5100 shocks to the 2.5 inch height lift adjustment, what size rear blocks do I need to have to have it leveled, or can I buy rear shocks as well to adjust the height or how does it really work? I'm a newbie so I don't completely understand everything yet. Please help!!!

Old 01-25-2016, 02:49 AM
Ford Fanatic

Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts

Well, the Bilsteins will still affect the suspension geometry much like a leveling kit. At 2.5", the angles of the ball joints and tie rods are not the prettiest. With that said, the Bilsteins do limit the down travel unlike a spacer which helps prevent over extension and more strain on the ball joints. Rear shocks do not and can not lift the rear. Its just not a load bearing part. Blocks, shackles, or and add-a-leaf are the only methods to raise the rear. The best way to determine what block you need is to measure from center of wheel to bottom of fender lip as every truck is a little different. I am making a guess here and would say 1.5" block should make it pretty level with the front at 2.5". You should change the rear shocks because of the added lift. I am not sure if Bilstein makes the 5100 specific for the 2wd model for the rears, but you will be able to use the 5100 for the 4wd models in the rear no problem if not.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:36 AM

Thanks for the great reply! So I've read a lot about people leveling with either a spacer or shocks, up to 2.5, they say they have no problems or either they do so its hard to believe which to go towards. And it would be better off to go with shocks rather than a spacer, right?
Old 01-25-2016, 09:38 AM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

They are all going to change the geometry and put a little to a good amount more stress on ball joints depending on which way you go about doing it. The only way to completely avoid the geometric changes is to do a real lift kit.

In the front of your truck, the only major difference in suspension between yours and a 4WD is the shock and spring itself. The 4WD is just a bit longer by about 2" or so if memory serves.

But the 5100 option is a good one as is a spacer up top. The one benefit of lifting 2WD versus 4WD is you don't have CV joint angles to worry about in addition to the ball joints and other points of stress.

I also have a 2WD and will be raising mine up in the next couple weeks. I am putting the stock 2015-2016 spacer in the back of 1.5" and then ordering the Boss Ultimate coilovers for the front. Between the shock length and the adjustment of the coilovers, it will raise the stock height of the front end up about 4" and the back up about 2". That should almost level it. That is certainly a more expensive option than what you are talking about doing, but in my opinion, is a better option.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by TJPlatinumEB
They are all going to change the geometry and put a little to a good amount more stress on ball joints depending on which way you go about doing it. The only way to completely avoid the geometric changes is to do a real lift kit.

In the front of your truck, the only major difference in suspension between yours and a 4WD is the shock and spring itself. The 4WD is just a bit longer by about 2" or so if memory serves.

But the 5100 option is a good one as is a spacer up top. The one benefit of lifting 2WD versus 4WD is you don't have CV joint angles to worry about in addition to the ball joints and other points of stress.

I also have a 2WD and will be raising mine up in the next couple weeks. I am putting the stock 2015-2016 spacer in the back of 1.5" and then ordering the Boss Ultimate coilovers for the front. Between the shock length and the adjustment of the coilovers, it will raise the stock height of the front end up about 4" and the back up about 2". That should almost level it. That is certainly a more expensive option than what you are talking about doing, but in my opinion, is a better option.

Sounds good man, well if you don't mind, when you install your lift, can you post some pics in this thread of the results? It'll be nice to see how it comes out
Old 01-25-2016, 11:48 AM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by ivangverduzco
Sounds good man, well if you don't mind, when you install your lift, can you post some pics in this thread of the results? It'll be nice to see how it comes out
Right now, mine has a shackle drop in the rear to make it level and I will be posting all the center hub to wheel arch measurements at each point in the install to hopefully help somebody out. I'll have a nice long thread about it in a few weeks. Probably mid February when I get it all done.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by TJPlatinumEB
Right now, mine has a shackle drop in the rear to make it level and I will be posting all the center hub to wheel arch measurements at each point in the install to hopefully help somebody out. I'll have a nice long thread about it in a few weeks. Probably mid February when I get it all done.

Yes! That would be greatly appreciated. But again im a newbie, what are shackles? Haha
Old 01-25-2016, 03:39 PM
Ford Fanatic

Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts

Shackles is the piece that attaches the rear of the leaf spring to the frame mount. As the leaf springs compress, they straighten out therefore making it "longer." This allows it to do so by moving backward/forward. Longer shackles will lower the rear end and shorter shackles will add lift to the rear.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:44 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Here's my 2wd with 4" lift kit from Rough Country, it's 4" lift up front and 2" in the rear so the truck is level. Suspension geometry is the same as OEM, the ride is just as smooth as well. Tires are only 32" for now, when they wear out I'll be going to 35'".

Old 01-25-2016, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by 4.6Intruder
Shackles is the piece that attaches the rear of the leaf spring to the frame mount. As the leaf springs compress, they straighten out therefore making it "longer." This allows it to do so by moving backward/forward. Longer shackles will lower the rear end and shorter shackles will add lift to the rear.
Ahhhh now I see! So how much are like the price range for shackles and are they easy to install?

Quick Reply: Want to make my 2WD suspension as high it could be without lift kit or spacer.