Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Video of my custom borla exhaust setup

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 07:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking Video of my custom borla exhaust setup

http://youtu.be/FfmS_fgn41Q

What do u guys think? I am sure we all know by now, that phones dont capture the best audio, but i really like the sound. Loud enough on the outside with little or no drone in the cab. That deep 5.0 growl that i was hoping for.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:22 PM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

Sounds great Brandon, wishing Id opted for the 5.0 instead of ecoboost!
The following users liked this post:
Red Rum (12-16-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 08:22 PM

Received 166 Likes on 111 Posts

Default 5.0

Originally Posted by Toddman34
Sounds great Brandon, wishing Id opted for the 5.0 instead of ecoboost!
Sounds like American muscle. Do you have any drone in the cab while cruising?

Todd, with all that you have been through, Ford should give you one! And if I could afford it, I'd buy you one! Hang in there buddy.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:58 PM

Yes, alittle. My wife says its loud but i am used to it now. This is my first truck and first aftermarket exhaust, so i really have nothing to base the cab drone off of. Other then the countless hours of audio/video research before i settled on the borla. I am sure the K&N CAI doesnt quiet anything down either....
Old 12-10-2012, 09:12 PM

Received 166 Likes on 111 Posts

Default Drone

Originally Posted by Red Rum
Yes, alittle. My wife says its loud but i am used to it now. This is my first truck and first aftermarket exhaust, so i really have nothing to base the cab drone off of. Other then the countless hours of audio/video research before i settled on the borla. I am sure the K&N CAI doesnt quiet anything down either....
Thanks for the feedback. I had an Expedition 5.4 with Banks headers, exhaust and a K&N CAI, and the drone was moderate; but we could live with it. I have an Airaid CAI on my 5.0, and it is so noisy on acceleration that when we take a trip, I switch it back to the stock airbox to keep the wife happy. This is the second Airaid on this truck. The first one included the intake tube and it was worse! These 5.0's valve arrangement make them growl louder than the 5.4's - but I love it.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:26 PM

Received 128 Likes on 110 Posts

Man, that sounds good!

Any way you can maybe get some drive-off and drive-by videos? Also, what part number muffler did you get and where did you get it?

I bought my truck straight piped and have been considering the XR-1. I don't mind how LOUD my exhaust is, but I wouldn't mind a more refined tone like the Borla mufflers provide. Does it pop a lot like when you're coasting? And is it raspy/poppy when you really get into the throttle? I'm just nervous to get a muffler since I'm used to the straight pipes and am afraid I might think it's too quiet haha.
Thanks for any insight you can provide!
Old 12-10-2012, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Combat vet
Thanks for the feedback. I had an Expedition 5.4 with Banks headers, exhaust and a K&N CAI, and the drone was moderate; but we could live with it. I have an Airaid CAI on my 5.0, and it is so noisy on acceleration that when we take a trip, I switch it back to the stock airbox to keep the wife happy. This is the second Airaid on this truck. The first one included the intake tube and it was worse! These 5.0's valve arrangement make them growl louder than the 5.4's - but I love it.
Ha, thats a great idea. I should switch mine out on long trips also. If their is any type of added weight to the truck, that adds drone as well. But maybe this moderate drone is common for this type of setup. When my mechanic and i installed this system we did numerous sound checks with different locations of the muffler, resonator, 5ft section of 3" dia ss pipe, etc. We finally settled on a rather unconventional location for the muffler. It's located right after the cats and at the end of the y pipe. I will take pics to better explain what i mean. So it goes cat's and y pipe, xr-1 borla muffler, approx. 5ft 3in dia. SS straight pipe, factory 3in. Mandrel bend, dynomax 14in. 4.5 in. Chrome square exhaust tip out.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by UARandy3
Man, that sounds good!

Any way you can maybe get some drive-off and drive-by videos? Also, what part number muffler did you get and where did you get it?

I bought my truck straight piped and have been considering the XR-1. I don't mind how LOUD my exhaust is, but I wouldn't mind a more refined tone like the Borla mufflers provide. Does it pop a lot like when you're coasting? And is it raspy/poppy when you really get into the throttle? I'm just nervous to get a muffler since I'm used to the straight pipes and am afraid I might think it's too quiet haha.
Thanks for any insight you can provide!
The borla item # is 40943 and i got it from summit racing. I think my setup is a hybrid between straight pipe and a system with a muffler, considering where my muffler is located and the almost 5ft long SS 3 in. Pipe out. I assure u, it won't be quiet! Ha. I will take some additional vids, i have always been curious on how it sounds on the outside anyways. The raspy sound of the borla is what sold me in the first place. I think i have achieved that sound. Not annoyingly loud, just "sporty aggressive!"

Oh and their is some back pressure burping at times, but it's not a riceburner pop! Its more like a deep sounding gurgle, if that makes sense. Nothing about this setup is high pitch. The coyote 5.0 would never allow it!
Old 12-11-2012, 02:22 PM

Received 128 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Rum

The borla item # is 40943 and i got it from summit racing. I think my setup is a hybrid between straight pipe and a system with a muffler, considering where my muffler is located and the almost 5ft long SS 3 in. Pipe out. I assure u, it won't be quiet! Ha. I will take some additional vids, i have always been curious on how it sounds on the outside anyways. The raspy sound of the borla is what sold me in the first place. I think i have achieved that sound. Not annoyingly loud, just "sporty aggressive!"

Oh and their is some back pressure burping at times, but it's not a riceburner pop! Its more like a deep sounding gurgle, if that makes sense. Nothing about this setup is high pitch. The coyote 5.0 would never allow it!
Yeah more videos would be awesome! I like the loudness of my straight pipes when just accelerating along like a sane person, but when I really get in it to pass someone or break into traffic it is "holy ***** wtf" loud and poppy. It is almost obnoxiously loud at that point. Plus it loses the tone of the exhaust note if that makes sense. And from what I've read, the Borla mufflers, especially the XR-1, hold that aggressive, deep tone throughout the RPM range. For example, the magnaflow magnapacks sound good and deep until you get in the upper RPMs where it thins out and loses tone.
Yeah I understand what you're saying about the deep gurgling sound when decelerating as mine does that now too.

I'm very seriously considering adding the muffler sometime in the near-ish future, and for probably under $200 for the muffler and to have it welded in, it's probably worth at least trying it.

Looking forward to more videos! (I probably listened to the one you posted a dozen times haha).
Old 12-16-2012, 08:59 AM

Default Accel vid, taken from inside the cab

Tryin to get more videos on here:

This one is an in cab acceleration after turning. One window is half down

Quick Reply: Video of my custom borla exhaust setup