Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vacuum Hubs & Ecoboost Wastegate

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vacuum Hubs & Ecoboost Wastegate

I brought my FX4 Ecoboost into the dealer regarding a loud whistling noise when I engaged 4x4. They checked out the truck and indicated the noise was coming from the Turbo wastegate. The exclamation I received was that when the vacuum hubs are engaged the wastegate opens up letting off boost hence the whistling sound. I'm having a hard time understanding why the wastegate is dumping boost when in 4x4. Does anyone else have this issue? Can anyone help explain why you would dump boost when you have added the load of 4x4?

Last edited by Mojave Black; 01-17-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The wast gate on a turbo does not whistle like that ever... The wast gate controls boost levels. You have some other issue.. I call bs on the dealer...
Old 01-17-2012, 02:14 PM

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Last I checked the wastegate has no way of venting boost. Wastegates control the amount of exhaust going to the turbine side of the turbo. A spring will keep the wastegate closed during idle or part throttle and boost will open it up regulating the amount of exhaust. I'm not sure how the turbos are on the ecoboost, but I take it they are internally wastegated which would not cause a whistle of any sort. Do ecoboosts have Blow off valves? A partially opened blow off valve will cause a whistle during part throttle
Old 01-17-2012, 05:05 PM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

Yes they do have BOV's, but they are internal as well. However, you can hear them quite well when you are only giving it partial throttle. They are dumping pressure anytime you are letting off the gas and it is definitely an audible noise.

Internal wastegates make ZERO noise. Your dealer is a retard.

Quick Reply: Vacuum Hubs & Ecoboost Wastegate