Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Undercoating

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 04:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Undercoating

Did anyone have their truck undercoated.
I just bought a used 09 FX4 and wondered if anyone does this anymore.
I had ziebart install remote start and ss step bars. They asked me about undercoating...189.99

Thanks
Old 12-03-2010, 08:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sounds like a great idea, but is there any downsides to it?

Being in a heavy salt area during the winter, I would really be interested in undercoating my fx4...

Please share any info/advice if you decide to do it.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my xlt undercoated. I live in Michigan and the salt really speeds up corrosion. I have an 02 mustang and in the rear the frame is actually rusting through. I have family that work in the dearborn truck plant and I was told the 09 and up trucks are dipped in something to prevent rust, but for 200$ I would get the undercoat especially if you deal with salt. Some people on here are gonna say its a waste of money.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:52 AM
281ci

For that price, I say go for it. I had our local Ziebart undercoat my '06 & it was on SALE for $300.00 instead of the usual cost of a ridiculous $750+. Looks a lot cleaner & at the very least gives me a sense of protection. & FWIW, I wasn't too sure of whether or not their rustproofing worked but when I got my truck back they had sprayed down my manifolds too which were completely covered in surface rust & now they're the normal grey/concretish color again.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:04 AM

autozone sells stuff quite similar...13.99 a can or something like that.. I'd rather get under there and focus on gas/brake/tranny etc. Or i if you could watch them work on it. I hate dropping off the truck because I know how many corners they cut.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:08 AM

I would say if you live in an area that uses salt on the roads,or near the beach (left or right coast) it is a good idea!
I would ask about a warranty on the under coating job! Years ago, I think they would only warranty new vehicles!
Old 12-03-2010, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by IM2Lazy4You
For that price, I say go for it. I had our local Ziebart undercoat my '06 & it was on SALE for $300.00 instead of the usual cost of a ridiculous $750+. Looks a lot cleaner & at the very least gives me a sense of protection. & FWIW, I wasn't too sure of whether or not their rustproofing worked but when I got my truck back they had sprayed down my manifolds too which were completely covered in surface rust & now they're the normal grey/concretish color again.

wow not sure if price has went down...lol or maybe there is different levels of undercoating. I live in ohio and we already have salt on roads.
I'll have to call and inquire more.
Thanks for the replys
Old 12-03-2010, 04:04 PM
Retired and loving it!

Received 536 Likes on 398 Posts

The other side of the coin here is that if not done right, there are drain holes for water to drain out of the frame rails and other places, and if the undercoating plugs these, it actually speeds up the rust in problem areas, as the water cannot drain properly.........at least I have heard that stated by others --- I've not had that experience myself.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:34 PM

I have heard that myself. I'm not from a rust-prone area, so wouldn't bother with undercoating, but if I did live there, I'd see about that, and a job done right as not to plug up the drain/weep holes.

Another idea is if the weather is warm enough, to stick a sprinkler under the vehicle for a bit to wash off all the crap underneath periodically.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:57 PM

Well I got it done and the stupid scotch guard seats and they put the coating on the paint all guaranteed for 10 years I think...I don't remember but it was about $300 added on to my loan...I'm in Nebraska and there's snow, salt, gravel...everything for about 4 months a year on the roads.
Funny story.
They didn't do it before I left the dealer, I had to bring it back...haha and the appointment was 5 days later over a weekend...Went Goose hunting...in March hahaha, I drop it off; take off in the stupid baby car they gave me, And I called at like 4:30, Hey is it done? You were going to call me? Oh yeah, no, they have to let your truck "soak" over night. I said I washed it before I dropped it off, and my guy was like well not good enough...Next day I meet my guy and he says...when they dropped it off, he asked "is it some farmer that bought it? I mean seriously? We had to let it soak over night, there was MUD in everything." My guy goes...Nope it's a little girl. hahahaha I said oh well, they should have done it before I left the lot with it. He said Yep.

Quick Reply: Undercoating