Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Undercoating

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 03:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Undercoating

Hi All,

Just wondering if doing an undercoating my 2009 Platinum for the winter is a good idea to prevent rust. I've heard mixed reactions to the process. Anyone out there for it / against it? And why?

Thx,

J
2009 White Chocolate Platinum
London, Ontario, Canada
Old 12-10-2009, 06:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been spraying my vehicles with Crown Rust Proofing for years with good results. For $120 per year it's cheap insurance. What ever you do don't buy into the electronic rust prevention systems the dealers usually try to sell you, they don't work. In order for anodic protection to work properly you have to protect the entire vehicle. The units that are on the market are just too low in capacity to work effectivley. A proper anodic protection systems requires a lot of DC power to operate. Your talking a few thousand $'s. I work at a sulphuric acid plant and we use anodic protection on all our stainless steel piping. Without anodic protection the stainless pipe wouldn't last 6 months.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:46 AM

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

When I lived in WI, I always had my vehicles rust-proofed (different than under coating) with Zeibart. In 15 years I never had ANY rust problems (7 vehicles).
Old 12-10-2009, 07:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The spray on under coating has been known to cause rust because it traps moisture between the coating and the body panels. My dad did body and frame work for 40 years and has seen rust around those electronic boxes. They are definitly a big gimmick. Some of the best things you can do is keep the truck rinsed off and don't park it in the garage with salt all over it. The minor heat difference in a garage will start the corrosion process.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:11 AM

I think the main thing is to make sure you do it when the truck is nice and clean/dry. Also, you MUST make sure the built-in drain holes in the doors are kept clear after they spray inside the doors, otherwise you WILL trap moisture in there. A toothpick works, but the rust proofing should drip out for a couple days afterwards. Also make sure they spray inside of your tailgate. I had mine done the day after I bought my '09 in August.

Also, hang onto any receipts that you get for rust proofing. At Rust Check here in Ontario, if you get rust perforation they will pay to have it fixed.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:01 PM

I have used Krown here in Ontario on my vehicles for 10+ years and it is great! It is pain because it drips but they do a great job and there was no sign of rust on my 10 year old Honda Accord when I just sold it.

A co-worker purchased the same Accord, same year and kept it in good condition - did not get it rust-proofed - washed regularly. Had a pile of rust on it year 8 on.

The salt they put on the road here just kills you for rust.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:50 PM

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

I leave it au naturale. But then again, I live in Floriduh.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:13 AM

I had my 09 rustproofed at Ziebart. My 91 was sprayed and it has held up great in the Michigan winters until a year or so ago.

Quick Reply: Undercoating