Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Undercarriage Spray Recommendation...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Undercarriage Spray Recommendation...

So truck is at dealer for a variety of items, one of which is undercarriage spray. I got the impression from the service manager that they use something completely different than a rhino/line-x spray but he said they could do line-x if I wanted (waiting on price).

I generally do line-x in bed over anything else to reduce fading... but what about the undercarriage? What have you guys done and what is different about it than say line-x?

Also since my truck has 13k miles on it, do I need to call the dealer and make sure they clean the hell out of the underside before application? Surely they wont spray over dirt and grime?
Old 09-28-2009, 10:27 AM

Mine came pre-sprayed, or was done before delivery without consultation. No clue what they used, but it was thick like tar and for the first few days a wee bit moist. Touched a bit of it and had one heck of a time geting it off my hand......Ohh, was charged for it!!!!
Old 09-28-2009, 10:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just be careful whoever you use. There is some overspray on my drivers side. I'm going to wait until my paint warranty is almost up and get um to repaint.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:08 AM

Is the paint warranty the same 5/60?

Smart move
Old 09-28-2009, 11:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chargerrich
Is the paint warranty the same 5/60?

Smart move
Not sure but I know I got paint upholstery and windshield for various lengths. 3-5 between um all.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:24 PM

I did mine myself using 3m undercoating cans, but the best thing you can do is get it oiled under there and in the doors...especially if you have snowy winters.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:00 PM

Received 256 Likes on 146 Posts

Mine was included in the price. They do use something different but I can't remember what it's called. Really the most important to me was the rear wheel wells - lots of exposed paint there to get jacked up with salt/sand in the winter.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:51 AM
Bye F150, hello F250

Received 92 Likes on 61 Posts

I recommend a yearly, oil, or water-displacement type of undercoating, which needs to be done yearly, if this is a big concern. Many permanent spray-ons, my trap water, or, harden up and chip off in pieces over time, and require yearly visits for touch ups, at your cost of course.

There are millions of opinions on "rust proofing", I have had very good luck here in Canada (they start using salt October 1 sometimes! ) with Krown underspraying, on the vehicles that I did use that product on. They drill holes, and cap them, in door panels, the hood, tailgate, ... and spray in there with a long wand. This product remains viscous and will flow all winter long to keep "junk" from collecting in nooks and crannies, and seems, where rusties tend to start.

As above, I am not too pleased with the rear wheel-well area, a ton of surface area there, it needs a shot of maybe Tremclad black, or a rubberized asphalt spray (undercoating). Something that remains flexible is what I am going with. It looks great in body color, when its clean, but stones will win that battle unless its protected.

Your mileage may vary.
Attached Thumbnails Undercarriage Spray Recommendation...-rear.jpg  
Old 09-29-2009, 11:02 AM

Got off phone with dealer, they call it "reflex" undercarriage coating. Quoted me $249 so I am having them do it along with the line-x bed and a tint job.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quixoticelixer
Just be careful whoever you use. There is some overspray on my drivers side. I'm going to wait until my paint warranty is almost up and get um to repaint.
If it is just the (rust-proofing) undercoating the dealership put on, you can wipe that off with a good polish. Mine had overspray between the box and cab. It was sorta hard to reach, but it came off. It was also really heavy on the passenger side below the running boar. You couldn't see it very easy, but i knew it was there. It rubbed right out.

Quick Reply: Undercarriage Spray Recommendation...