Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Ultimate Chime fix...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 03:31 PM
Weekend Warrior!

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Default The Ultimate Chime fix...

Well, I did it. I don't have a seat belt warning chime, keys in ignition chime, radio on & doors open chime--no chimes at all!

Some of you are surely going to say , but hey, my truck. If I'm doing mods with the keys in the ignition, I don't want to hear chimes. If I'm working on it listening to the radio w/the doors open, I don't want to hear chimes. The damn things are annoying.

So, out came the instrument panel. Then I took off the white plastic back. Then I gingerly unplugged that noisy sucker from the back of the instrument panel. All back together & no more ding ding ding ding ding....

Over the next few days, I'll let y'all know if it "messed" up anything else. Til then, here's to some quiet cockpit truckin'.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:33 PM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

pix or it didnt happen!
Old 03-07-2012, 03:35 PM
Weekend Warrior!

I can take a pic of what I pulled out...
Old 03-07-2012, 03:37 PM
5.4 FX2

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Owen
I can take a pic of what I pulled out...
"That's what she said".
Old 03-07-2012, 03:38 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Woo Sah
"That's what she said".
SCORE!!!

but yea post a pic of what u pulled
Old 03-07-2012, 03:40 PM

Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

Does the IC still show "door ajar" messages?
Old 03-07-2012, 03:40 PM

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

So how hard is it to take the instrument panel off? My fear is I'd break some clips or something and it wouldn't go back together right.

Also, does the computer still display the emergency brake is on? That's one time I like the chime, it makes sure I don't drive off with the emergency brake still on.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:48 PM
Weekend Warrior!

OK guys, here it is. Quarter gives size reference. In the first pic, you can see traces of a black fiber-cloth around the edges. That cloth actually covered the whole back. I removed it hoping to be able to just "disable" the chime from within, instead of removing it.

The second pic shows the three tabs that needed to be pushed in to remove it from the circuit board. Then just pull straight out to unplug. Ta-Dah!!
Attached Images   
Old 03-07-2012, 03:55 PM
Weekend Warrior!

Just went out & confirmed that all the warning LIGHTS still work. Even took a short ride up the street starting out w/o my seatbelt on. After a few seconds, the light began blinking. Door ajar light, and e-brake lights all work. The great thing is...they work like lights should---quietly!
Old 03-07-2012, 03:58 PM

Received 24 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Owen
Well, I did it. I don't have a seat belt warning chime, keys in ignition chime, radio on & doors open chime--no chimes at all!

Some of you are surely going to say , but hey, my truck. If I'm doing mods with the keys in the ignition, I don't want to hear chimes. If I'm working on it listening to the radio w/the doors open, I don't want to hear chimes. The damn things are annoying.

So, out came the instrument panel. Then I took off the white plastic back. Then I gingerly unplugged that noisy sucker from the back of the instrument panel. All back together & no more ding ding ding ding ding....

Over the next few days, I'll let y'all know if it "messed" up anything else. Til then, here's to some quiet cockpit truckin'.
So your 2010 has the ding ding ding ding ding... Is this also the dreaded and regiled boo dee doo that repeats four times on start-up? I snipped the blue wire with the grey tracer to cancel the door open/key in ignition and also disabled the seat Beltminder chime. But I must get rid of the obnoxious "your key is in in the ignition and you are cranking your engine" boo dee doo nausea. I like your mod better than my fantasy .45 ACP chime disable mod.

Quick Reply: The Ultimate Chime fix...