Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two problems with my 2012 Ecoboost

Old 12-08-2011, 01:49 PM

Received 107 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Two problems with my 2012 Ecoboost

Two problems with my 2012 Ecoboost-truckbestonly.jpg

First of all don't get me wrong, I love my new truck. But two things have popped up that I would like to solve if possible.

The first is the sudden loss of power that MAY HAPPEN, when you tromp on the gas when you need some quick acceleration like entering the freeway etc.

Myself and others on this forum have experienced this sudden loss of power which is scary and could be dangerous. Is it possible to contact Ford and see if they would try to solve this problem.

The second problem is really minor but still a nuisance. I don't seem to get much hot air on the front windshield when trying to defrost or de-ice it. Never had a vehicle that so little air hits the windshield when the defroster is on. I will have the dealer check it, maybe something is not working right.

Other then these two problems, I LOVE MY TRUCK!
Old 12-08-2011, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I first picked up mine, I had the "lack of acceleration" issue within the first 1k miles (trying to pass). Since then it hasn't happened. I wonder if it's the computer just trying to figure thing out. I have 7K now and it's all good.

Also, there's a tiny "spooling up" effect from the turbos that took me a couple months to get used to. I've learned to feather the gas until I feel the turbos kick in before I punch it to make a pass. (I'm guessing that's what happens anyway.) This way it eliminates that delay you feel.

Haven't really notice the defrost issue....yet....
Old 12-08-2011, 02:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same thing on '11 EcoBoost when I first picked it up. I picked mine up with 9 miles and while driving out of the dealership I tried to get on it a couple times and it would almost shudder before accelerating. I also had the hard shifts from 1st to 2nd gear. As soon as I got it home (drove it from Seattle, WA to Spokane,WA roughly 300 miles) I let it sit for a few hours and then took it out for another spin. All seemed to be just fine after. I now have 1500 miles on mine and have not had the same problems since. Definitely agree that the spooling of the turbos takes a bit of getting used to. I would give it a little while for the truck to break in before getting too concerned.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:13 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Thank God I haven't had either of those problems, YET!!! I hope I don't either LOL!! But, if I do, at least I know im not alone Welcome, nice truck!!
Old 12-08-2011, 03:08 PM

Received 107 Likes on 59 Posts

It would be nice if Ford would tell us about this acceleration problem, what causes it and how to deal with it.

I will get my defrost checked when I service the truck in a week or so and report back if any problems.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by deerhunter42
It would be nice if Ford would tell us about this acceleration problem, what causes it and how to deal with it.

I will get my defrost checked when I service the truck in a week or so and report back if any problems.
I don't have an ecoboost so I don't have any personal experience with the acceleration issue. But - the ECU does adapt to driving habits, so lots of members have experience strange things when they drive the first 1000 miles or so, only to have the ECU adapt to the driving and make those problems magically vanish.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:55 PM

Right now, The power Lag/Surge is simply part of owning the Ecoboost.

A turbo engine cause dramatic changes in the torque output of the engine. This combined with the weight of the truck and the amount that it can tow causes the programming to be quite tricky. Keep in mind that Ford cares more about protecting the drive train than they do about how it performs since it is still under warranty. Right now the program tends to error toward the side of limiting power...

I do not think Ford has completely figured out the programming on this engine/trans combo...

Mine has been re-programed three times since I got it. The issues seemed to be less severe with each new update, but it still seems to have a mind of it's own some times...
Old 12-08-2011, 04:28 PM
Eco-5.0-Eco again

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Ford has not figured out programming yet, I was the victim of the rev limiter kicking in and the engine NOT recovering. It is not a simple "lag" issue. When I took my truck to the dealer, I made sure they checked into the programming update of the ECM, it is the latest. On that note, this is a serious flaw that needs to be addressed, someone is going to get hurt.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by BlueFlameMetallicFX4
Ford has not figured out programming yet, I was the victim of the rev limiter kicking in and the engine NOT recovering. It is not a simple "lag" issue. When I took my truck to the dealer, I made sure they checked into the programming update of the ECM, it is the latest. On that note, this is a serious flaw that needs to be addressed, someone is going to get hurt.
Love it! But stop complaining please, Lenn is watching.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:08 PM
in the house

Received 1,332 Likes on 772 Posts

I've owned several turbo-charged cars over the years and every one of them had a 'limiter' built in to how much power it would make until the engine had some mileage on it. Typically after about 3,000 miles they would all have this limiter electronically disabled by the ECU. Not sure if there is anything like this on the EB...just sayin'...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Two problems with my 2012 Ecoboost